Lite Boxing Day pie
CALS 481 | SAT FAT 7.7g | SUGAR 8.6g | SERVES 6
INGREDIENTS 1kg leftover potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, Brussels sprouts and greens • 2 tbsp olive oil • 3 onions, diced • 4 leeks, sliced • 800g turkey meat, shredded • 2 tbsp plain flour • 600ml chicken stock • 300ml low-fat crème fraiche • sea salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Crush the potatoes in a large bowl with the back of a wooden spoon.
2. Chop the carrots and parsnips into small pieces, thinly slice the greens, then add most of the veg to the bowl with the potatoes. Combine and crush to create a chunky mash – leaving a few to decorate the pie at the end.
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan. Add a third of the onion and cook for 5 mins until soft. Add the mash to the pan with a splash of water and cook for a further 5 mins. Take off the heat and set aside.
4. Place the rest of the olive oil in a separate pan, throw in the leeks and remaining onions and fry for 5 mins until soft. Add the turkey and cook for another 5 mins.
5. Coat the mixture with flour. Pour in the chicken stock and crème fraiche, then season. Stir and reduce the heat – simmer for about 10 mins until it thickens slightly.
6. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and spread the mash over the top, topping with the remaining veg. Bake for 20 mins until the topping becomes crispy. Serve with a dollop of festive cheer.