Woman admits killing her 18-month-old son
A 23-YEAR-OLD woman has admitted killing her 18-month-old son, who died after he plunged from the sixth floor of a block of flats.
Elliot Procter was found with fatal injuries at the bottom of the Newcastle House flats in the Barkerend area of Bradford, West Yorkshire, in October last year.
His mother, Gemma Procter, was due to go on trial at Bradford Crown Court yesterday accused of Elliot’s murder but pleaded guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility.
Prosecutor Kama Melly QC said the plea was acceptable. No details of what happened at Newcastle House on October 21, 2017 were outlined in the 10-minute hearing.
Procter stood in the dock surrounded by staff from the secure hospital where she is being held.
Procter spoke only to confirm her name and to deny murder but admit manslaughter charge.
Judge Jonathan Durham Hall QC said there was a “massive interest” in the case, “quite rightly”.
The judge said that sentencing would take place on June 15 and he remanded Procter in custody until then.