Presence of Markle’s father in doubt
Doctors may release him in time to attend wedding
LONDON — Thomas Markle spent a career in Hollywood, but nothing prepared him for this.
The father of royal bride-to-be Meghan Markle has been quoted as saying he will not attend his daughter’s wedding to Prince Harry this week after suffering a reported heart attack amid the intense media interest around the nuptials.
The retired television cinematographer had been due to walk his daughter down the aisle Saturday at Windsor Castle’s St. George’s Chapel.
But celebrity news website TMZ reported Monday that the elder Markle has decided to stay away amid criticism over his decision to pose for mocked up wedding-preparation shots taken by a paparazzi agency.
Kensington Palace issued a statement calling for “understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation.” The palace did not say whether wedding plans had actually changed.
On Tuesday, TMZ reported that Thomas Markle said that on reflection, he did want to come, if doctors release him from a hospital where he was undergoing tests after a heart attack.
“I hate the idea of missing one of the greatest moments in history and walking my daughter down the aisle,” the news site quoted him as saying.
Meghan Markle’s half sister said their father, 73, was under an “unbelievable” amount of stress because of media intrusion.
Saturday’s wedding is expected to draw more than 5,000 media staff and 79 television networks from around the world.