Fol­low th­ese easy steps to change your name on your So­cial Se­cu­rity card


Are you chang­ing your name? If so, let So­cial Se­cu­rity know so we can up­date your in­for­ma­tion, send you a cor­rected card, and make sure you get the ben­e­fits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us doc­u­ments prov­ing your le­gal name change and iden­tity.

If you are a U.S. ci­ti­zen, you also must show us a doc­u­ment prov­ing your U.S. cit­i­zen­ship, if it is not al­ready in our records. You must present orig­i­nal doc­u­ments or copies cer­ti­fied by the agency that is­sued them. We can’t ac­cept pho­to­copies or no­ta­rized copies.

To prove your le­gal name change, you must show one of the fol­low­ing doc­u­ments: Mar­riage doc­u­ment; Di­vorce de­cree; Cer­tifi­cate of nat­u­ral­iza­tion show­ing a new name; or

Court or­der for a name change.

To prove your iden­tity, you must show an un­ex­pired doc­u­ment show­ing your name, iden­ti­fy­ing in­for­ma­tion, and pho­to­graph, such as one of the fol­low­ing: U.S. driver’s li­cense; State-is­sued non-driver’s iden­ti­fi­ca­tion card; or

U.S. pass­port. If you don’t have one of those doc­u­ments avail­able, we may be able to ac­cept your: Em­ployer iden­ti­fi­ca­tion card; School iden­ti­fi­ca­tion card; Health in­sur­ance card; or U.S. mil­i­tary iden­ti­fi­ca­tion card.

To prove your U.S. cit­i­zen­ship, you must show one of the fol­low­ing doc­u­ments: U.S. birth cer­tifi­cate; U.S. Con­sular Re­port of Birth Abroad; U.S. pass­port (un­ex­pired); Cer­tifi­cate of Nat­u­ral­iza­tion; or Cer­tifi­cate of Cit­i­zen­ship. What­ever your rea­son for your name change, So­cial Se­cu­rity is here to help you with the new … you!

Fill out the form at­cialse­cu­ pdf and fol­low the in­struc­tions to en­sure your So­cial Se­cu­rity card is de­liv­ered in a timely man­ner. You can also lo­cate your lo­cal field of­fice at­cialse­cu­rity. gov/lo­ca­tor so you can ap­ply for your up­dated card and show your re­quired doc­u­ments in per­son.

For com­plete in­struc­tions, visit­cialse­cu­­num­ber, which in­cludes in­for­ma­tion for nonci­t­i­zens.

And re­mem­ber, if you sim­ply need to re­place a lost So­cial Se­cu­rity card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — re­quest your re­place­ment card on­line us­ing your my So­cial Se­cu­rity ac­count www. so­cialse­cu­­ac­count.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.