No. 3 Ben­tonville 24, No. 4 Fayetteville 20


Ben­tonville’s Har­ri­son Camp­bell (left) tries to break away from Fayetteville’s Carsten John­son (27) and Mar­quez Dou­glas dur­ing Fri­day night’s game at Ben­tonville.


BEN­TONVILLE — Ben­tonville Coach Jody Grant just wanted Har­ri­son Camp­bell to get into field-goal range and give the Tigers a chance to force a tie as time ticked away Fri­day night.

The Tigers’ se­nior re­ceiver did one bet­ter. Camp­bell hauled in the pass from Eas­ton Hughes, then headed down the left side­line and scored with 47 sec­onds left as No. 3 Ben­tonville won its 13th con­sec­u­tive reg­u­lar-sea­son game over No. 4 Fayetteville with a 24-20 vic­tory over the Bull­dogs at Tiger Sta­dium.

“I told our kids all week we would have to play well,” Grant said. “It was go­ing to be a four-quar­ter foot­ball game, and that’s ex­actly what it was.”

Mon­tell Berry’s 10-yard touch­down run with 3:08 re­main­ing gave Fayetteville (5-2, 2-2 7A-West) a 20-17 lead, but Hux­ley Richard­son’s ex­tra-point at­tempt was blocked. That left the score at 20-17, mean­ing Ben­tonville (4-3, 4-0) could tie the game with a field goal.

The Tigers needed an 11yard run by Pre­ston Craw­ford on fourth-and-1 to keep the drive alive, but Hughes was sacked on the next play. That’s when Ben­tonville went to Camp­bell, who caught the ball in the mid­dle of the field in­side the Fayetteville 40, then broke to his left for the side­line be­fore he dove into the end zone with 47 sec­onds re­main­ing.

“I was slant­ing in on our scis­sor route,” Camp­bell said. “I took the mid­dle, and there were two guys down there. I made sure I caught the ball first and looked down the field. I knew I had to break them off, then get down to that side­line.

“Once I got to the side­line, I saw just one guy left. I knew if I could lay out, I could prob­a­bly get in the end zone. It was close. It is in­de­scrib­able to lay out and you see [the ref­eree’s] hands go up. You run to the side­line, and you can hear ev­ery­body scream­ing and know you con­trib­uted some­thing to the team.”

Fayetteville took the en­su­ing kick­off and moved from its 20 to its 47 af­ter a 9-yard pass from Dar­ius Bow­ers to Beau Stuckey with 5 sec­onds left. The Bull­dogs’ fi­nal play, how­ever, just went back­ward af­ter a num­ber of lat­er­als and Con­nor Flan­ni­gan was ruled down in­side the Fayetteville 20 as time ex­pired.

The loss ru­ined the re­turn of Bow­ers, who had sat out the pre­vi­ous four games with a knee in­jury. He com­pleted 17 of 27 passes for 276 yards and threw 2 touch­downs to Stuckey — an 87-yarder in the first quar­ter and 13-yard pass that gave the Bull­dogs a 14-10 lead with 5:48 re­main­ing in the third quar­ter.

NWA Demo­crat-Gazette/CHAR­LIE KAIJO

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.