Three busi­nesses fail health in­spec­tions

Austin American-Statesman - - COMMUNITY NEWS - By Kris­ten Hubby

Cock­roaches and flies in the kitchen area, raw meat stored above cooked food and dirty uten­sils used at a food prep station are just some of the most re­cent vi­o­la­tions that caused three es­tab­lish­ments to fail health in­spec­tions in the past month.

A ho­tel in Round Rock, a Cedar Park restau­rant and a Jar­rell con­ve­nience store failed in­spec­tions in July for mul­ti­ple health code vi­o­la­tions, ac­cord­ing to data from Wil­liamson County and Cities Health District in­spec­tion re­ports.

Kung Fu Buf­fet in Cedar Park, which also failed an in­spec­tion in June, re­ceived 27 health code vi­o­la­tions in its in­spec­tion re­port.

Vi­o­la­tions in­cluded flies in the kitchen area, soiled shelv­ing above un­cov­ered food and kitchen floors be­hind woks “heav­ily coated” in de­bris.

“No, we al­ready fixed ev­ery­thing,” said a Kung Fu Buf­fet man­ager who de­clined to pro­vide his name in a phone call. “The health depart­ment is com­ing again. We are fix­ing it all and clean­ing.”

In June, the restau­rant re­ceived 25 vi­o­la­tions, in­clud­ing an em­ployee han­dling raw chicken and then cooked chicken without wash­ing hands; kitchen staff us­ing cans as uten­sils; and hot wa­ter un­avail­able through­out the restau­rant, ac­cord­ing to the doc­u­ment.

Round Rock’s Comfort Suites and the Jar­rell C-Store off In­ter­state 35 also failed in­spec­tions in July, ac­cord­ing to the doc­u­ment.

Both es­tab­lish­ments re­ceived more than 15 vi­o­la­tions, and Comfort Suites was nearly forced to close be­cause of faulty re­frig­er­a­tion be­fore it was fixed, ac­cord­ing to a re­port.

Comfort Suites re­ceived 18 vi­o­la­tions in the re­port. Among those vi­o­la­tions were a re­frig­er­a­tor left open, caus­ing in­ad­e­quate cool­ing; em­ploy­ees not pre­sent­ing state-re­quired food han­dling cards; and an em­ployee han­dling ready-to-eat foods with bare hands.

“I in­formed the em­ployee to make sure they wear gloves at all times,” said Hank Pa­tel, the owner of Comfort Suites in Round Rock.

Jar­rell C-Store re­ceived 20 vi­o­la­tions in its in­spec­tion. The most egre­gious were roaches in the kitchen area, gnats on bak­ery cook­ies and a sauce holder at the food prep station vis­i­bly soiled, ac­cord­ing to the doc­u­ment.

Sev­eral phone calls to get com­ment from Jar­rell C-Store re­sulted in a busy or dis­con­nected line.

De­spite a restau­rant’s fail­ure, the Wil­liamson County and Cities Health District gives an es­tab­lish­ment two days to fix the vi­o­la­tions un­less it is iden­ti­fied as a health hazard. If it is an im­mi­nent health hazard, the es­tab­lish­ment will be closed un­til the vi­o­la­tion is re­solved.

“If they failed an in­spec­tion, we put a sign on the door that no­ti­fies cus­tomers they were not in com­pli­ance and they have 48 hours to fix their in­ef­fi­cien­cies and they get in­spected 48 hours af­ter,” said Deb Strahler of the Wil­liamson County and Cities Health District.

A food es­tab­lish­ment fails if it re­ceives a score of 30 or more on the in­spec­tion check­list, and vi­o­la­tions are scored dif­fer­ently. An ini­tial failed in­spec­tion is fol­lowed by an­other in­spec­tion, al­low­ing es­tab­lish­ments to pass or be forced to close im­me­di­ately to en­sure pub­lic safety.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.