At the ren­o­vated and re­opened Green Pas­tures, new restau­rant Mat­tie’s hon­ors the past in fresh, sur­pris­ing and de­li­cious ways.

Mat­tieCs at AustinCs his­toric Green Pas­tures pays homage to its her­itage with fresh and di­verse takes on the clas­sics.

Austin Way - - CONTENTS DEPARTMENTS - By Va­lerie Jarvie // Photography by Nick Si­monite

If you are one of the thou­sands who have cel­e­brated birth­days, an­niver­saries, grad­u­a­tions and wed­dings at Green Pas­tures over the years, lis­ten up: It’s time to re­turn. If you have never ex­pe­ri­enced a meal at the Austin main­stay, you’re in for a treat. The his­toric prop­erty and one of the grande dames of Austin hospi­tal­ity has un­der­gone a splen­did makeover. Af­ter clos­ing for ren­o­va­tions, the restau­rant has re­opened un­der a new name, Mat­tie’s, in honor of the leg­endary host­ess who first made the 19th cen­tury house a place of warm wel­come, and fea­tures a stel­lar new chef and menu. In 2015, Austin real es­tate de­vel­oper Greg Porter part­nered with Jeff Trig­ger, pres­i­dent of La Cor­sha Hospi­tal­ity Group, to buy the prop­erty, a circa 1895 Vic­to­rian house set on 6 acres in the Bouldin Creek neigh­bor­hood of South Austin. Trig­ger was the gen­eral man­ager of Rose­wood Man­sion and The Adol­phus Ho­tel in Dal­las for many years be­fore re­lo­cat­ing to Austin to start La Cor­sha, a lux­ury ho­tel and restau­rant man­age­ment firm whose lo­cal restau­rants in­clude both lo­ca­tions of chef David Bull’s Sec­ond Bar + Kitchen (and its up­com­ing site at Austin-Bergstrom In­ter­na­tional Air­port) and Boiler Nine Bar + Grill. La Cor­sha also over­saw the restora­tion of his­toric lo­ca­tions such as Austin’s The Driskill ho­tel, the St. An­thony Ho­tel San An­to­nio and, most re­cently, the land­mark Stage­coach Inn restau­rant in Sal­ado. The more the part­ners re­searched the his­tory of Green Pas­tures, the more en­am­ored they be­came with its sto­ried past. The home was pur­chased in 1916 by Henry Faulk, the son of a poor Alabama share­crop­per. Henry Faulk had moved to Austin, worked his way through The Univer­sity of Texas law school and be­come an ac­claimed judge. He and his wife, Martha “Mat­tie” Miner Faulk, were gen­er­ous folk who opened their big house to count­less fam­ily and friends, putting up trav­el­ers, col­lege stu­dents, and women and chil­dren who moved in while hus­bands fought in WWII. Mat­tie, in par­tic­u­lar, was known for her good works and open-mind­ed­ness. The home was passed to a daugh­ter, Mary Faulk Koock, who opened a for­mal restau­rant on the ground floor in 1946. Mary car­ried on her par­ents’ tra­di­tion of hospi­tal­ity, wel­com­ing peo­ple of any creed or color to the restau­rant—18 years be­fore de­seg­re­ga­tion, a time when this wasn’t the norm by a long stretch. Green Pas­tures be­came a din­ing in­sti­tu­tion, host­ing din­ner, brunch and events for more than a half-cen­tury. Fast-for­ward to to­day. Porter and Trig­ger have com­pletely ren­o­vated the 12,000-square-foot house and ad­di­tional event space with the help of a de­sign dream team: Emily Lit­tle of Clay­ton + Lit­tle Ar­chi­tects and in­te­rior de­signer Joel Moz­er­sky. Stylish, mid­cen­tury-in­spired fur­ni­ture is ac­cented with Faulk fam­ily por­traits and ar­ti­facts, set in a back­ground of sooth­ing grays and blues. Pa­tio space has been added un­der

From left: The lobby at Green Pas­tures is a warm wel­come; a South­ern clas­sic, the bone-in pork chop served with squash and grilled okra.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.