Gunfight in French Quarter of New Orleans kills 1, wounds 9
NEW ORLEANS — Police had already increased patrols in New Orleans’ bustling French Quarter before gunfire erupted early Sunday, leaving one man dead and nine other people wounded, and triggering a panic in the crowded tourist district.
Extra uniformed and plainclothes officers were on duty and ambulance crews were on standby for what Mayor Mitch Landrieu said was supposed to be a festive time with college and pro football games in the city and people vacationing over the long Thanksgiving weekend.
Police Superintendent Michael Harrison said officers responded about 1:30 a.m. Sunday to the shooting at the intersection of Iberville and Bourbon streets.
Harrison said none of the victims was an intended target when two other men began arguing and shooting. Investigators continued searching Sunday night for the suspects, who fled on foot. Landrieu said authorities believe the suspects are from out of town.
The shooting victims were two women and eight men, ranging in age from 20 to 37, Harrison said. One of the men — 25-year-old Demontris Toliver — died at a hospital.
Five of the victims were released from a hospital by Sunday night, and four remained hospitalized with injuries that were not considered life-threatening, the police superintendent said.
Harrison said the violence happened despite an increased police presence for the Bayou Classic football game Saturday night between Southern and Grambling universities. The New Orleans Saints played Sunday at the Superdome.
He said officers were nearby, heard the shots and ran toward the scene of the gunfire.
Under a banner reading “Get out Temer,” marchers in Sao Paulo demand President Michel Temer’s ouster amid allegations he abused power to do a personal favor for a Cabinet minister. The scandal could scuttle Temer’s ability to pass austerity measures he says are necessary to reverse a deep recession.