Lightning strike starts fire in attic
Authorities believe a lightning strike is responsible for starting a fire in a Gurnee townhome Monday evening in the north suburbs.
The bolt struck about 6:40 p.m. and left distinct charring on the roof, according to Gurnee Fire Battalion Chief Bob Heraver.
A neighbor noticed smoke and alerted 911 and the family of four, who safely evacuated the home in the 700 block of Wakefield Road, Heraver said.
Firefighters found smoke pouring out from the attic area, he said.
“We went inside, looked around and didn’t see a large volume of fire,” Heraver said. “There was smoke in the attic. We pulled out the ceiling to get access and wet it.”
The fire was contained in about 15 minutes, he said.
The damage done: $20,000 to the home and $20,000 to the belongings inside.