SPAM® RED BEANS AND RICE
Courtesy of Christian Gill, executive chef of Boomtown Biscuits and Whiskey
Wake up your taste buds and make them smile with this hearty dish. The Creole influence will add some literal spice to your life! Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
1 can SPAM® (diced)
2 (15-ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
1 large white onion (large dice)
2 serrano peppers (Thinly sliced)
1 large green bell pepper (large dice)
4 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 stalks of celery (diced)
2 tablespoons chopped curly parsley
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons creole seasoning
2 cups cooked jasmine rice
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1. In a large skillet over high heat, sear diced SPAM® until browned and crispy on all sides.
2. Add butter to the skillet and melt.
3. Once butter is melted, add diced onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery to the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables soften and the aroma of garlic builds.
4. Once SPAM® and the vegetables are cooked, add creole seasoning and 2 cans of dark red kidney beans with the liquid from the cans.
5. Bring the contents of the skillet to a boil, and then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Serve with a side of hot jasmine rice and garnish with coarsely chopped parsley.
SPAM® Red Beans and Rice.
“SPAM: 100+ Quick and Delicious Recipes from Traditional to Gourmet”