Dog dies, 17 oth­ers res­cued af­ter be­ing al­legedly ne­glected at O’Hare

Chicago Sun-Times - - TOP NEWS - BY DAVID STRUETT, CST WIRE RE­PORTER | @dstru312

An in­ter­na­tional ship­ment of dogs was al­legedly ne­glected by a cargo han­dling company at O’Hare Air­port, caus­ing one of them to die, af­ter a pa­per­work is­sue left them stranded in a ware­house for three days.

Seven­teen other dogs caged with­out food or wa­ter were res­cued Mon­day af­ter­noon af­ter an anony­mous tip­ster told po­lice the dogs were left with­out care in an O’Hare ware­house, Chicago po­lice said.

Mi­ami-based Al­liance Ground In­ter­na­tional — charged with over­see­ing the Aug. 28 ship­ment of dogs — was cited for an­i­mal cru­elty and ne­glect, ac­cord­ing to a po­lice source.

The dogs were left in the ware­house be­cause they lacked vac­ci­na­tion doc­u­ments and would not be re­leased to their new own­ers by the Cen­ters for Dis­ease and Con­trol and Pre­ven­tion, po­lice said.

Af­ter the au­thor­i­ties found them, two of the dogs — a Bel­gian Mali­nois and a Ger­man shepherd — were re­leased in good con­di­tion to Chicago An­i­mal Care and Con­trol, while the rest were re­leased to an­other agency, ac­cord­ing to Chicago An­i­mal Care and Con­trol spokes­woman Jenny Sch­lueter.

The dogs were shipped to the U.S. on a 13hour flight from Am­man, Jor­dan, ac­cord­ing to Al­liance Ground In­ter­na­tional Vice Pres­i­dent War­ren Jones.

Jones de­nied his company ne­glected the dogs and said his em­ploy­ees “did ev­ery­thing they could to take care” of them.

Jones said his em­ploy­ees walked, fed, wa­tered, cleaned the dogs and moved them to an air-con­di­tioned part of their ware­house.

“We bought food for these an­i­mals while Cus­toms and the ship­per” were work­ing out the pa­per­work is­sue, Jones said.

“It’s chal­leng­ing. We move an­i­mals ev­ery week. We’ve never had a loss of an an­i­mal at our company in 30 years,” Jones said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.