FIVE EASY AUTUMN UPDATES
Refresh your home for fall with these 5 easy changes.
Learn how to refresh your home for the season with these simple changes.
2. TEXTURE. This is a good way to warm up a space with a neutral color palette. Touch a piece before you decide on it—it’s the tactile feel that helps create texture. Use pieces made from various materials, such as rustic wood tables, scratchy woven baskets, bumpy sisal rugs and soft fur blankets.
1. WARM COLORS. As the weather cools, you want to be cozy inside, so use warm colors to make your home feel inviting. There’s a bit of psychology going on here: We favor cool colors like blue and green during the hot months because they help us think of water and shady lawns. So during the cool months, use warm colors like red and yellow to conjure up warm fires, hot drinks and cozy blankets.
3. PATTERN. We associate fall with textiles like burlap, fleece and wool, not only for their warmth but also for the bold patterns like plaids and stripes that come with them. Plaid is a classic fall choice that turns any room into a fall-friendly atmosphere, whether with throw pillows, blankets or prints on the wall.
4. NATURAL ELEMENTS. No fall décor is complete without a few pumpkins, gourds and fall leaves. Go outside and hunt around for bits of nature you can bring inside to display on your coffee table, scatter over your dining table centerpiece or put in a bowl on the mantel.
5. ENTICING SCENTS. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, chai—these are the scents of fall. Brew cups of tea to get you in the mood, and place batches of potpourri or candles around your home. You can also make a batch of spiced rum or cider to fill the house with the delicious scent.