Heavenly Praline Cake
Filled with the fabulous flavor of caramel, this cake is also topped with a lovely icing. The candied pecans are almost a dessert by themselves!
PREP: 40 MIN. BAKE: 1 HOUR + COOLING MAKES: 16 SERVINGS AND 5 CUPS CANDIED PECANS
CANDIED PECANS (optional)
1 large egg white
4 cups pecan halves
¹ ₃ cup sugar
¹ ₃ cup packed dark brown sugar CAKE
1 cup butter, softened
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream
2 cups packed dark brown sugar 4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2¹ ₂ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¹ ₂ tsp. baking soda ¹₄ tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted ICING
1 cup packed dark brown sugar ¹ ₂ cup butter, cubed
¹₄ cup 2% milk
1 cup confectioners’ sugar 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Add pecan halves; stir gently to coat. Combine sugar and brown sugar; add to pecan mixture and stir gently to coat.
2. Spread pecans into two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake for 18-22 minutes, stirring once. Cool. Store in an airtight container.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in chopped pecans.
4. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 60-70 minutes. Cool cake for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
5. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and milk.
Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Serve with candied pecans if desired.
TO MAKE AHEAD The sugared nuts can be made a week in advance.
The cake can be made the day before serving and kept tightly wrapped at room temperature.
1 SLICE 559 cal., 31g fat (17g sat. fat), 124mg chol., 305mg sod., 65g carb. (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g pro.