Law & disorder
The following items are based on information provided by officials in law enforcement and the criminal justice system.
· Weapons/criminal contempt: Steven Parente, 50, of Leeds, was arrested at 28 Travis Blvd. in Athens by state police at Coxsackie at noon Wednesday and charged with the felonies of criminal contempt for violation of an order of protection, criminal possession of a weapon (assault rifle) and criminal possession of a weapon (ammo clip), with the misdemeanors of criminal possession of a weapon and failure to register a weapon, and with two counts of possession of marijuana, both violations. Parente was arrested following an investigation into shots being fired near a residence in Athens, police said. Officers said Parente was firing his weapons in a wooded area near the residence and was in possession of a firearm and a shotgun in violation of a court order to surrender his firearms. He was also in possession of a metal knuckle switchblade knife, police said. Parente was sent to the Columbia County Jail in lieu of $15,000 bail.
· Drugs: Thomas Manahan, 30, and Nicole Simmons, 31, both of Catskill, were arrested by Catskill police on Wednesday when a sealed indictment was handed down by a Greene County grand jury. Both were charged with two felony counts of sale of a controlled substance and two felony counts of possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell, police said. Both Manahan and Simmons were sent the Greene County Jail pending arraignment.
· Obstruction of breathing: Joshua A. Connolly, 29, of Coxsackie, was arrested by state police at Catskill on Tuesday and charged with the misdemeanors of obstruction of breathing, unlawful imprisonment and assault after a domestic dispute at a residence in Coxsackie. Connolly was sent to the Greene County Jail in lieu of $5,000 bail.
· Drugs: Michelle A. Lassier, 44, of Poughkeepsie, was arrested by state police at Rhinebeck at 6734 U.S. Route 9 in the town of Rhinebeck at 3:46 p.m. Wednesday and charged with the misdemeanors of possession of a controlled substance and petit larceny. Arrested with Lassier and charged with misdemeanor petit larceny were Jenny M. Brezovsky, 21, of Poughkeepsie, and Sean R. Gillen, 24, of Wappingers Falls. All three were released with tickets for Rhinebeck Town Court.
Town of Rochester
· Drugs: Amanda L. Taylor, 29, of Accord, was arrested by state police at Wawarsing 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at 5758 U.S. Route 209 in the town of Rochester and charged with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance and with controlled substance in non-original container, a violation. Taylor was released with a ticket for Rochester Town Court.