U.S. stocks re­main best haven for in­vest­ment

Daily Local News (West Chester, PA) - - BUSINESS - By Bruce Wil­liams Smart Money

DEAR BRUCE >> My hus­band and I are on a fixed an­nual in­come of $75,000. Our CD is com­ing to ma­tu­rity soon. We do not want to roll it over since the in­ter­est has dropped so low. Can you sug­gest a bet­ter in­vest­ment? We can’t af­ford to lose this money. -- S.W. DEAR S.W. >> Let’s start with the given. You’re not go­ing to get the same in­come as you’ve en­joyed since CDs are go­ing very close to neg­a­tive ter­ri­tory, which is a crime, but nonethe­less, that’s the way it is.

As to a bet­ter way to in­vest, at the risk of re­peat­ing my­self, it seems to me that con­ser­va­tive pur­chases in the stock mar­ket is the only way to fly -- with wellestab­lished U.S. com­pa­nies that are also pay­ing rea­son­able div­i­dends. There is no rea­son to be­lieve you can’t ex­pect a re­turn of 5 per­cent or bet­ter. It may take a lit­tle time to in­ves­ti­gate which com­pa­nies to choose, but it’s cer­tainly worth the ef­fort. DEAR BRUCE >> When my wife and I di­vorced, we con­tin­ued to pay the mort­gage as a cou­ple from our joint ac­counts. Both of our names were on the mort­gage. At some point, she took my name off the mort­gage with­out my knowl­edge.

She plans to sell the house. I say I get half of the sale price of our home. What would you do? -- Reader DEAR READER >> It’s clear that your wife had ab­so­lutely no right to re­move your name from

the mort­gage. Un­less, of course, you paid it off, and that still would re­quire your sig­na­ture.

There’s no rea­son at this point why you wouldn’t re­ceive

half of the sale price. Un­less there was some prior agree­ment made dur­ing the di­vorce, but I don’t see how she could have pro­ceeded with your name re­moval with­out your per­mis­sion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.