Glance at the Past
107 Years Ago July 2, 1913
• All work has been done and now everything is in readiness for the free Fort Bragg County Fair Fourth of July Celebration. The roar of the anvil and a flag raising will start things a going at the first break of dawn on our Independence Day. At 9 o’clock, the Solo band will give a concert on Main Street and greet the excursionists at the station. The big civic parade will form at the Catholic Church at 10 a.m. This is possibly going to be the biggest and best getup ever witnessed on the coast.
• The fair committee has named the following as candidates for the Fort Bragg County Fair, Oct. 14 to 19. The Misses Mattie Weller, Hazel Taylor, Hazel Mero, Mary Flagler, Phyllis Mathews, Myra Duffey, Ruth Hill, Vivian Rodgers and
• A. P. Stark, one of the genial clerks in the Pacific Drug Store, wrenched one of his ankles so badly Friday evening that he will be confined to the house for a week or so. It appears that Arthur, while taking a stroll to Pudding Creek, accidentally stepped in a hole and turned his ankle.
• The Royal Arch Degree was conferred on W. A. Chapman Saturday night by the chapter at Mendocino. Quite a declaration going down from here.
• Miss May Johnson came up from San Francisco, Thursday, to spend the Fourth with relatives.
77 Years Ago July 14, 1943
• Mr. and Mrs. Leland Feider celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary on July 6th with a dinner at their home on Pine Street. They were married while Mr. Feider was serving in the armed forces of World War I.
The ceremony took place in Seattle, Washington. Mrs. Feider was the former Wilmae Sanderson, daughter of a pioneer family of Fort Bragg. At the anniversary, the military touch was carried out by the couple’s son, Leon Feider, who was home on furlough from the South Pacific. In the original ceremony, it was the bridegroom who wore the military uniform.
The only person who was present at the anniversary celebration and who was also in attendance twenty-five years ago when they married was Tom Welch, of Fort Bragg.
• At Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church in Fort Bragg on July 4, 1943, Rev. Ambrose christened the son and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Domingo Valador, Jr., the son being christened Robert Lynn Valador and the little daughter Mary Ann Valador. The Godparents were their aunt and uncle, Mr. and Mrs. John M. Silveria, of Mendocino. Following the christening, a reception was held at the Valador home on Main Street, Fort Bragg.
• The new mill at Rockport started sawing lumber Tuesday, July 6, and has been sawing lumber every day since. It cut 30,000 feet of lumber one day and will cut considerably more after it gets going with a full crew.
55 Years Ago July 8, 1965
• At 11 o’clock this morning, press, radio and television newsmen from throughout the state, representing media from near and far, will board a four-car passenger train here bound for Willits and back. And thus, will the California Western Railroad re-embark on an era that had almost been forgotten in the preservation of vanishing Americans. This is because the four 72-foot coaches, with a total capacity of over
300 passengers, will be pulled by a steam locomotive, inaugurating the only standard-gauge regularly scheduled steam passenger line in the state.
• At Coast Theatre: James Bond is back to back! Ian Fleming’s “From Russia With Love” and “Dr. No” both starring Sean Connery.
• Bud Grass will call for the Timber Toppers dance again Saturday, July 10, at Russian Gulch State Park. Bud has been one of the top 10 northern California callers for the past four years.
• Verne and Betty Roberts, of Albion, had an exciting trip when they went to San Pedro to bring home their recently purchased commercial fishing boat. Gale winds held them in dock at Monterey for five days. They were 10 days making the trip. The 30-foot boat, the Gamecock, is now being rigged and her new owners are eagerly looking forward to taking her out.
• The Mendocino County Historical Society has published its first edition of a condensed collection of short stories of fact and fiction, about the county. The first issue — eight pages — is “Lore of the Coast,” and has five short stories prepared by Mrs. Thomas Moungovan, of Fort Bragg.
40 Years Ago July 9, 1980
• Robert Hansen and his partner, Pete Olsen, have established a new business, Bernillo’s Pizzeria at 220 Redwood Ave., in Fort Bragg. They specialize in hand-tossed pizzas and zappi pies.
• At Coast Twin Cinemas: David Carradine,