Fire safety tips
■ Test smoke alarms often and replace the batteries every year. Keep a carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home.
■ Don’t leave chargers or electronics plugged in when not in use. Invest in a high-quality surge protector for items that need to stay plugged into an outlet.
■ Never throw water or powdered substances like sugar, sand or baking soda on a grease fire. Turn off the stove burner and smother the fire with a pot lid or cooking sheet.
■ Don’t leave electronics like phones or laptops on top of beds or upholstered furniture.
■ Avoid excessive extension cords. Hire a licensed electrician to install a new outlet rather than using extension cords for long periods of time.
■ Circuit breakers don’t trip accidentally. Call 311 the first time it happens and the fire department will find the problem.
■ Don’t hesitate to call the fire department if you notice a burning smell or light haze inside your home, even if there are no visible flames.
■ Keep flammable items and chemicals away from water heaters and heating sources. Don’t store paint cans or chemicals in direct sunlight.
■ Cut an inch off the trunk of Christmas trees before placing them in water, and make sure the tree is watered at least twice a day.
■ Have dryer ductwork and vents cleaned out at least once per year. Avoid using anti-static dryer sheets, which can leave a flammable film on the inside of ductwork.