School shoot­ing sus­pect: Dead vic­tim bul­lied him

He told of­fi­cers that he wanted to teach les­son

Las Vegas Review-Journal - - NATION - By Ni­cholas K. Geranios The As­so­ci­ated Press

ROCK­FORD, Wash. — A 15-yearold boy ac­cused of shoot­ing four class­mates at a ru­ral high school in Wash­ing­ton state had been meet­ing with a school coun­selor over sui­ci­dal thoughts be­fore bring­ing two guns from home and killing a stu­dent he said had bul­lied him, ac­cord­ing to court doc­u­ments re­leased Thurs­day.

The doc­u­ments and his class­mates de­tailed trou­bling be­hav­ior by Caleb Sharpe, say­ing he brought notes to school about do­ing “some­thing stupid,” was ob­sessed with past school shoot­ings and posted videos on­line show­ing him play­ing with guns.

Sharpe, a sopho­more at the school of 300 stu­dents, also had left a sui­cide note at home for his par­ents, the records said. Free­man High School in the tiny town of Rock­ford has not re­sponded to calls for comment on how they dealt with Sharpe’s be­hav­ior out­side of coun­sel­ing for his sui­ci­dal thoughts.

He took an as­sault weapon and a hand­gun from his fa­ther’s gun safe, to which he knew the com­bi­na­tion, and brought them in a duf­fel bag to the school south of Spokane Wed­nes­day, an in­ves­ti­ga­tor for the Spokane County Sher­iff ’s Of­fice wrote in an af­fi­davit.

He pulled out the AR-15 ri­fle and tried to fire it in a hall­way but it jammed, the records said. That’s when a class­mate ap­proached Sharpe.

“I al­ways knew you were go­ing to shoot up the school,” the stu­dent said be­fore Sharpe shot him in the head and ab­domen with the hand­gun, ac­cord­ing to the doc­u­ments.

Sharpe told po­lice that he had been bul­lied by that stu­dent but did not tar­get him specif­i­cally.

“In­stead he’d come to the school to teach ev­ery­one a les­son about what hap­pens when you bully oth­ers,” the doc­u­ments said Sharpe told in­ves­ti­ga­tors.

He kept fir­ing the hand­gun, strik­ing three stu­dents, un­til it also jammed, doc­u­ments said.

He dropped the hand­gun and sur­ren­dered to an ap­proach­ing jan­i­tor, Joe Bowen, who or­dered him to the ground and held him for au­thor­i­ties, the doc­u­ments said.

Sharpe was ar­rested and has yet to make an ap­pear­ance in ju­ve­nile court. It was not im­me­di­ately clear if he had an at­tor­ney to speak on his be­half.

The As­so­ci­ated Press doesn’t typ­i­cally name ju­ve­nile sus­pects but is do­ing so be­cause of the sever­ity of the ac­cu­sa­tions and be­cause Sharpe’s name was re­leased in pub­lic doc­u­ments and was widely used in lo­cal me­dia.

The three wounded vic­tims re­mained in the hos­pi­tal but were ex­pected to sur­vive.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.