Man is charged with of­fi­cer’s killing

A not-guilty plea is en­tered for sus­pect in the slay­ing of a Mis­souri po­lice­man.

Los Angeles Times - - THE NATION -

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A judge en­tered a not-guilty plea Fri­day for the man ac­cused in the killing of a western Mis­souri po­lice of­fi­cer dur­ing a traf­fic stop.

Ian McCarthy, 39, of Clin­ton ap­peared via video at the Henry County Court­house to an­swer charges of first­de­gree murder and armed criminal ac­tion in the death of Of­fi­cer Gary Michael.

In­ves­ti­ga­tors say Michael was killed in Clin­ton when the driver of a car he had stopped for a traf­fic vi­o­la­tion Sun­day jumped out and shot him. The as­sailant drove away, crash­ing a few blocks from the scene of the shoot­ing and then run­ning away, po­lice said. Michael was able to re­turn fire. McCarthy was ar­rested walk­ing on a road af­ter a two-day man­hunt.

Michael, 39, was the first po­lice of­fi­cer killed in the line of duty in Clin­ton, a town of about 9,000 res­i­dents about 75 miles south­east of Kansas City. His visi­ta­tion was sched­uled in Clin­ton on Fri­day and the fu­neral will be Satur­day.

A sec­ond man, Wil­liam Noble, 35, also of Clin­ton, was charged Thurs­day with felony tam­per­ing with ev­i­dence af­ter pros­e­cu­tors al­leged he sup­plied the weapon used to kill Michael.

Ac­cord­ing to a po­lice probable-cause state­ment, Noble be­gan “fake-cry­ing” while ini­tially telling two of­fi­cers who vis­ited his home Thurs­day that he bought the ri­fle and sold it to McCarthy. He eventually changed his story and ac­knowl­edged that McCarthy asked him to buy the ri­fle for him. He said he did so be­cause McCarthy was from out of state.

McCarthy served time in prison in New Hamp­shire for first-de­gree as­sault and a pa­role vi­o­la­tion.

He also was wanted at the time of his ar­rest on a 2015 war­rant in John­son County, Mo., for un­law­ful possession of a firearm. As a con­victed felon, McCarthy can­not legally own a firearm.

Noble told the of­fi­cers he “pan­icked” when he re­turned home Mon­day — the day af­ter the shoot­ing — and found the ri­fle lean­ing against an in­side door­way, the state­ment said. He said he told his wife he needed to take out the trash and in­stead drove to a creek about 2 miles north of Clin­ton, where he threw it into the wa­ter. He took of­fi­cers to the creek Thurs­day, where they re­cov­ered a ri­fle that “meets the de­scrip­tion and ap­pears ... to be the weapon used in the murder,” ac­cord­ing to the probable-cause state­ment.

The state­ment does not ad­dress how Noble knew McCarthy, and Mis­souri State High­way Pa­trol spokesman Bill Lowe said Thurs­day that the re­la­tion­ship was un­clear.

McCarthy didn’t ap­pear to have many friends in Clin­ton, ac­cord­ing to his neigh­bors and land­lord.

They told the Kansas City Star that McCarthy gen­er­ally stayed in­side his home, a few blocks from where Michael was killed, and seemed to spend his time play­ing video games and hunt­ing and fish­ing. He didn’t seem to have worked since ar­riv­ing in Clin­ton about four years ago.

“He’s an odd duck,” said his land­lord, Ed Han­nah. “He was such a her­mit no­body re­ally knew any­thing about him.”

Next-door neigh­bors said they mostly saw McCarthy when he let out his dogs — Min­ion and Nib­bler — whom he doted on.

One neigh­bor, Whit­ney Ju­lian, said McCarthy had a tem­per, once “go­ing berserk” when heavy ma­chin­ery woke him up — at about 10 a.m.

McCarthy’s next court ap­pear­ance is sched­uled for Oct. 20.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.