Fire destroys Nanjemoy home
No injuries reported, but family pets perished
A two-story Nanjemoy home was destroyed in an accidental fire late Friday afternoon. While none of the occupants were reported to be injured, the blaze killed several family pets, according to fire marshals.
Around 5 p.m. Nov. 11, members of the Nanjemoy Volunteer Fire Department and surrounding areas responded to the 3500 block of Port Tobacco Road and began battling the flames after an occupant awoke to find the house filled with smoke, authorities reported. Upon arrival, it took 35 firefighters about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.
Fire marshals found that the fire had been caused by embers from a burn barrel, and estimate $315,000 of total damage to the home and its content.
The displaced occupants are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.