Six strategies for success in engaging physicians in bundled payments for joint replacement
• Identify physician leaders and get them involved from the start in redesigning care processes to improve outcomes and reduce costs.
• Have physicians study utilization and cost data to spot and address issues such as excessive length of stay, complications, or use of postacute facilities.
• Negotiate a gain-sharing arrangement with surgeons to better align their financial interests with the hospital’s.
• Work with physicians on negotiating lower joint implant prices.
• Work with surgeons to educate patients and their families about what to expect before, during and after surgery and to help patients improve their health prior to surgery.
• Consider hiring nurse navigators to guide patients and families through the entire episode of care.