Says ‘ev­ery­body got along’ with stab vic­tim


ON THE last morn­ing of his life, Matthew McCree woke up his mother to ask about mak­ing her fa­vorite break­fast: pan­cakes, four pieces of ba­con, scram­bled eggs.

Hours later, a hor­ri­fied Louna Den­nis watched help­lessly as the dy­ing 15-year-old rolled past her on a stretcher out­side his Bronx high school.

“I lost it,” the 34-year-old Den­nis told the Daily News. “The po­lice were hold­ing me back. I was scream­ing, ‘My son! My son!’ I dropped to the ground.”

A weepy Den­nis spoke out for the first time Fri­day, two days af­ter her son was fa­tally stabbed by a fel­low stu­dent in the mid­dle of a his­tory class at the Ur­ban As­sem­bly School for Wildlife Con­ser­va­tion.

“My son was no bully,” said Den­nis, re­fut­ing sto­ries that Matthew was stabbed for tor­ment­ing 18-year-old bi­sex­ual Abel Ce­deno. “He was a won­der­ful child and ev­ery­body got along with him.

“The bul­ly­ing story sur­prised me. I’d like to know where that came from. My son had no prob­lems at school.”

Ac­cord­ing to po­lice, McCree and his best pal Ari­ane Laboy, 16, had no his­tory of ha­rass­ing ac­cused mur­derer Ce­deno.

“Matthew was no bully,” a fel­low stu­dent in­sisted Fri­day. “I’m bi­sex­ual and he never made fun or teased me. Matthew was good and kind.”

But cops also said the two stabbed teens in­sti­gated the fight by toss­ing wads of pa­per and pieces of bro­ken pen­cils at Ce­deno dur­ing the Wed­nes­day morn­ing

class. Laboy was in crit­i­cal but sta­ble con­di­tion af­ter sur­viv­ing the switch­blade at­tack in a fifth­floor class­room. Ce­deno smug­gled the blade into a school that has no me­tal de­tec­tors. A back­yard me­mo­rial to Matthew con­tin­ued to grow Fri­day, one day af­ter about 90 lo­cal kids ap­peared to pay their re­spects. Vis­i­tors left hand­writ­ten notes, bal­loons and pho­tos of McCree.

Den­nis started cry­ing as she spoke about the kids in their Bronx build­ing ap­pear­ing in tears over the fa­tal stab­bing.

Matthew’s step­brother Kyle Vic­tor “had to get taken out of school be­cause he won’t stop cry­ing,” said Den­nis.

The fam­ily in­tends to hold a fu­neral for the slain teenager be­fore con­sid­er­ing any le­gal ac­tion in the slay­ing.

“There are se­ri­ous le­gal is­sues in­volv­ing the De­part­ment of Ed­u­ca­tion and the NYPD school safety di­vi­sion that must be ad­dressed here,” said fam­ily at­tor­ney San­ford Ruben­stein.

Den­nis said she sent Matthew to the Bronx high school be­cause it was a smaller school and she con­sid­ered it a safer op­tion.

Louna Den­nis (left) and Opal Smith, mother and grand­mother of stab­bing vic­tim Matthew McCree, break down talk­ing about him. Be­low, Den­nis shows photo of her late son.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.