In the news
■ Rodrigo Duterte, the Philippine president, told reporters that he will never visit the United States while he is in office, adding that he has “seen America and it’s lousy.”
■ David Refosco, second mate with Beaufort Water Search and Rescue, said rescuers dispatched to two kayakers who had gotten stuck during low tide at Hilton Head Island, S.C., became stuck themselves when their airboat became wedged in a ravine hidden by high marsh grass.
■ Matthew Jurado, a white, former New York firefighter who received a 10-year prison sentence for arson, said it was “stupidity,” not racism, that spurred him to set fire to the apartment of a black colleague, who had days earlier received a racist letter threatening him if he didn’t resign.
■ Brooke Skylar Richardson, an 18-year-old high school cheerleader, pleaded innocent to a reckless homicide charge in the death of her newborn infant who, prosecutors say, was buried alive outside Richardson’s family’s home in Carlisle, Ohio.
■ Dr. Scott Gregory Lilly, an oncologist who treated chronic pain patients at a Muskogee, Okla., clinic, was banned from prescribing opioids and suspended from practicing medicine because, the state medical licensing board said, 14 of his patients have died of overdoses since 2010.
■ Daniel Stoneburner was driving in northeastern Ohio with his wife and their two children, ages 9 and 12, when a motorist traveling in the opposite direction struck and sent airborne a deer, which smashed into their windshield, killing the wife, Ohio state police said.
■ Ward Thomas of Long Beach, Calif., who was denied a $5 million lottery jackpot because his teenage son bought the ticket and only adults can play, is suing the California Lottery Commission and the gas station that sold the ticket, complaining that no one checked the boy’s age or told him that only adults can play.
■ Marceline Udry-Dumoulin, 79, of Switzerland, the daughter of a couple whose bodies were found last week on an Alpine glacier, took part in their burial Saturday, nearly 75 years after they disappeared after setting off on foot to feed their animals.
■ John Frando of the Bakersfield, Calif., Fire Department said a white Shih Tzu named Jack, which in a video on the agency’s website appears nearly lifeless after being rescued from a house fire, suffered respiratory tract injuries and burns to his feet but that he was doing well.