Spring Scrap Bed Runner
Bring a touch of spring to your bed.
• 30 bright- color scraps at least 11" x 6" • 11/4 yards green tonal • 15/ 8 yards white solid • Backing to size • Batting to size* • Thread • Basic sewing tools and supplies *Warm & White batting from The Warm Company used to make sample.
From each bright-color scrap: • Cut 4 (11/2") B squares. • Cut 4 (11/2" x 51/2") D rectangles. • Cut 1 (31/2") A square. From green tonal: • Cut 2 (11/2" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 44 (11/2") G squares. • Cut 6 (21/2" by fabric width) H/I strips. Trim 2 strips to 21/2" x 291/2" for I.
Set aside remaining strips for H. • Cut 6 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips. From white solid: • Cut 6 (11/2" by fabric width) C1 strips. • Cut 3 (31/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 60 (11/2" x 31/2")
C2 rectangles and 48 (11/2") E squares. • Cut 2 (11/2" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 56 (11/2") E squares. • Cut 3 (71/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 73 (11/2" x 71/2") F rectangles and 16 (11/2") E squares (120 E squares total).
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Chain-sew A squares to the C1 strips, leaving just a tiny space between the squares referring to Figure 2.
2. Press A squares to the right side, align a straightedge with the edges of the first A square and across the C1 strip and trim to make an A-C1 segment as shown in Figure 3. 3. Repeat step 2 to complete a total of 30 A-C1 segments. 4. Repeat steps 1 and 2, sewing with the A side of the A-C1 segments to the remaining C1 strips to complete 30 (31/2" x 51/2") A-C1 units as shown in Figure 4.
5. To complete one Spring Scrap block, select one A-C1 unit, four each matching B squares and D rectangles, two C2 rectangles and four E squares.
6. Sew a B square to each end of a C2 rectangle to make a B-C2 strip as shown in Figure 5; press. Repeat to make a second B-C2 strip.
7. Sew a B-C2 strip to opposite long sides of the A-C1 unit to complete the center unit as shown in Figure 6; press.
8. Sew a D rectangle to opposite sides of the center unit as shown in Figure 7; press.
9. Sew an E square to each end of the remaining D rectangles to make two D-E strips as shown in Figure 8.
10. Sew a D-E strip to the remaining sides of the unit pieced in step 8 to complete one Spring Scrap block as shown in Figure 9; press.
11. Repeat steps 5–10 to complete a total of 30 Spring Scrap blocks.
COMPLETING THE BED RUNNER
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for positioning of blocks to complete the bed runner.
1. Arrange and join three Spring Scrap blocks with four F rectangles to make a block row; press. Repeat to make a total of 10 block rows.
2. Join three F rectangles with four G squares to make a sashing row; press. Repeat to make a total of 11 sashing rows.
3. Arrange and join the block rows with the sashing rows to complete the pieced center; press.
4. Join the H strips on the short ends to make a long strip; press. Subcut strip into two 21/2" x 811/2" H strips.
5. Sew H strips to opposite long sides and I strips to the short ends of the pieced center to complete the bed runner top; press.
6. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 110. 7. Quilt as desired. 8. Bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 110 to finish.