• 2 (21/2"-diameter) circle scraps
purple dot • Scrap coordinating stripe • Fat eighth purple tonal • 1/2 yard green tonal • 1/2 yard Halloween print • 1 package craft-size batting
(34" x 45") or scraps • Neutral-color all-purpose thread • Black size 8 pearl cotton • 2 (11/4") 4-hole buttons, any color • 6" length large black rickrack • 1/8 yard fusible web • 20" length black knit cord • Craft glue • No-fray solution • 121/2" paper square • Dinner plate • Embroidery needle • Basic sewing tools and supplies
1. Using the paper pattern made in step 2 of the Cat Bag cutting instructions, cut a bag front and back from the green tonal and Halloween print and two batting pieces.
2. Draw two 21/4" x 1" eyebrow rectangles and one 5" x 11/4" mouth rectangle on the paper side of the fusible web, leaving at least 1/4" between pieces. Cut out shapes, leaving a margin around each one.
3. Fuse the eyebrow and mouth rectangles to the wrong side of the coordinating stripe with stripes going horizontally on eyebrows and with stripes going vertically on the mouth. Cut out shapes and remove paper backing.
4. Cut four 21/2" x 31/2" rectangles from the purple tonal for ears.
5. Cut two 21/2" x 31/2" rectangles and two 11/4"-diameter circles from batting.
COMPLETING THE FRANKENSTEIN BAG
1. Place the rickrack across the center of the mouth rectangle, trim to fit and apply no-fray solution to the ends; let dry. Stitch down the center of the rickrack to secure.
2. Position the eyebrow and mouth pieces on the bag front piece; fuse in place.
3. Pin the bag front to one batting piece; machine-baste 3/16" from the edge. Repeat with the bag back and remaining batting piece.
4. Transfer the eye, nose and chin quilting lines to the bag front referring to the Frankenstein Face Positioning Pattern. Using an embroidery needle and 1 strand of black pearl cotton, sew long quilting stitches along the marked lines.
5. Place two ear rectangles right sides together and pin to a 21/2" x 31/2" batting rectangle. Sew around, leaving one long edge open. Trim batting close to seam; clip corners. Turn right side out and press flat. Repeat for second ear.
6. Using black pearl cotton, sew long quilting stitches 3/4" from the seam.
7. Place the ears at the sides of the bag front with one ear 31/2" down from the top and the other 4" down; baste in place as shown in Figure 8.
8. Refer to steps 7–12 in Completing the Cat Bag to sew the bag together.
9. Glue the 11/4"-diameter batting circles to the top of two buttons.
10. Sew gathering stitches around the edge of each purple dot circle and place a button, batting side down, in the center of the wrong side of each one. Pull the threads to gather the fabric around the button; knot and clip the thread.
11. Center a button inside each quilted eye circle on the bag front and stitch in place using black pearl cotton, stitching through the holes in the button in an X pattern and through the bag front and front lining to finish. QW
Frankenstein Placement Diagram 12" x 12", excluding handle and ears