Learn Quick Appliqué Techniques With Wool & Cotton
Materials given are for 4 coasters. • Scraps white, red, green, blue and
turquoise felted wool* • 3/ 8 yard black-with- gray dots • 1/2 yard gray snowflake print • Cotton batting scraps • Thread • Embroidery floss to match wool • Appliqué pins or appliqué glue
(optional) • Basic sewing tools and supplies *One-hundred percent felted wool from Moda used to make sample.
Cut appliqué pieces as per instructions using patterns given. From black-with-gray dots: • Cut 4 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips. From gray snowflake print: • Cut 2 (51/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 4 (51/2") A squares and 4 (51/2") backing squares. From cotton batting scraps: • Cut 8 (51/2") squares.
COMPLETING THE COASTERS
1. Arrange and pin five white dots on a mitten shape referring to motif for positioning. Using 1 strand of white floss and an overcast stitch, stitch all around each dot as shown in Figure 1.
2. Fold an A square in half vertically and horizontally, and crease to mark the center.
3. Center and pin the mitten on the A square; stitch in place all around using 2 strands of embroidery floss to match the mitten color and an overcast stitch.
4. Pin the cuff on the top of the mitten referring to the motif for positioning.
5. Using 2 strands of floss to match mitten fabric and a blanket stitch, stitch all around the cuff piece to secure.
6. Layer a backing square right side down, two cotton batting squares and the appliquéd A square right side up; baste layers together. 7. Quilt as desired. 8. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94 to finish.
9. Repeat all steps to complete a total of four coasters. QW
Woolly Mittens Coaster Set Quilting Diagram