Color Wakes Up
This lovely quilt-as-you-go Bargello wall hanging has a touch of appliqué to really make it pop.
Bargello piecing at its best.
• 1/ 8 yard multicolored squares on black (fabric 6)* • 1/ 8 yard red leaf print (fabric 8)* • 1/ 8 yard large floral on black (fabric 9)* • 1/ 8 yard white squares/dots on black (fabric 3)* • 1/4 yard white-with-black dots and squares (fabric 10)* • 1/4 yard black circles on white (fabric 11)* • 1/4 yard swirling dots on white (fabric 1)* • 1/4 yard black discs (fabric 2)* • 1/ 3 yard black circle tonal (fabric 5)* • 5/ 8 yard white tonal squares and dots (fabric 12)* • 3/4 yard white floral (fabric 7)* • 1 yard red-with-black swirling dots
(fabric 4)* • 2" gridded flannel 32" x 51"* • Backing 32" x 51" • Batting 32" x 51"* • Thread • Basting spray (optional) • Machine walking foot • 1/2 yard fusible web • Basic sewing tools and supplies *Anything Goes fabric collection by Ann Lauer for Benartex; Hobbs Thermore® batting; Creative Grid 54" fabric by Maywood Studio used to make the sample.
Cut a small swatch of each fabric left after straightening edge before cutting strips. Glue the fabric swatches to a piece of paper and number to keep each one accurately labeled for piecing. From multicolored squares on black: • Cut 1 (21/2" by fabric width) strip for fabric 6. From red leaf print: • Cut 1 (21/2" by fabric width) strip for fabric 8. From large floral on black: • Cut 1 (21/2" by fabric width) strip for fabric 9. From white squares/dots on black: • Cut 1 (21/2" by fabric width) strip for fabric 3. From white-with-black dots & squares: • Cut 2 (21/2" by fabric width) strips for fabric 10. From black circles on white: • Cut 2 (21/2" by fabric width) strips for fabric 11. From swirling dots on white: • Cut 2 (21/2" by fabric width) strips for fabric 1. From black discs: • Cut 2 (21/2" by fabric width) strips for fabric 2. From black circle tonal: • Cut 1 (21/2" by fabric width) strip for fabric 5. • Cut 4 (1" by fabric
width) A/B strips. From white tonal squares & dots: • Cut 6 (21/2" by fabric width) strips for fabric 12. From white floral: • Cut 1 (21/2" by fabric width) strip for fabric 7. • Cut appliqué motifs as per instructions. From red-with-black swirling dots: • Cut 1 (21/2" by fabric width) strip for fabric 4. • Cut 4 (21/2" by fabric width) C/D strips. • Cut 5 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
COMPLETING THE PIECED STRIPS
1. Join 21 (21/2"-wide) strips with right sides together along length to make a strip set, using the fabric number order shown in Figure 1 and referring to Preventing Bowing in Strip Sets on page 31. Cut in half to make two strip sets.
2. Join the top and bottom strips of one strip set to make a tube as shown in Figure 2. Repeat with the second strip set to make a second tube. Press the joining seams in the same direction as the other seams in the tube.
3. Label one tube the Odd Tube. All oddnumbered segments will be cut from this tube. Label the remaining tube the Even Tube. All even-numbered segments will be cut from this tube.
4. Lay the Odd Tube on the cutting mat wrong side out, aligning all seam allowances. Using the vertical lines on the mat as a guide, trim the left edge of the tube perpendicular to the seams to straighten edge.
5. Cut the 2"-wide segment 1 from the Odd Tube; remove seam between strips 21 and 1 as shown in Figure 3.
6. Continue cutting segments from the Odd Tube and Even Tube and removing seams between strips referring to the Segment Cutting & Seam Separation Chart below.
COMPLETING THE WALL HANGING
1. Refer to Making a Grid below to mark the batting if not using gridded flannel.
2. Place the backing right side down with the batting and then the gridded flannel on top. Note: If the grid is too dark and may show through the white fabrics, place the gridded flannel with the grid side facing the batting. Be sure that you will still be able to see the grid lines.
3. Position the grid so that a horizontal line is even with the top of the backing and batting, and a vertical line is even with the left edge.
4. Secure the layers with safety pins on the grid/batting side or use basting spray. Remove pins as you sew.
5. Fit your machine with a walking foot. 6. Lay segment 1 (with fabric 1 at the top) on the grid 4" in from the left vertical grid line and 4" down from the top horizontal line as shown in Figure 4; pin to hold. Machine-baste 1/8" from the left edge.
7. Lay segment 2 right sides together with segment 1, matching seams as shown in Figure 5; pin at each seam. Stitch along the pinned edge, removing pins as you sew. Gently press segment 2 to the right side.
8. Referring to Figure 6, continue adding segments in numerical order, checking often that the segments align with the grid lines to keep the design straight. Make slight adjustments on the wider strips as necessary if any bowing occurs.
9. Machine-baste 1/8" from the right edge of the last segment to secure.
10. Join the A/B strips on the short ends to make one long strip. Measure the quilt top vertically and cut two strips to that measurement for A. Sew A strips to the long sides; press. Measure the quilt top horizontally and cut two B strips; sew to the top and bottom of the pieced center; press.
11. Repeat step 10 with the C/D strips to complete the quilt top. Trim excess grid, batting and backing edges even with the C and D strips.
12. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94.
COMPLETING THE APPLIQUÉ
1. Select leaf and flower motifs from the white floral. Apply fusible web to the wrong side of the fabric behind the motifs.
2. Refer to Raw-Edge Fusible Appliqué on page 30 to cut out and apply the motifs to the background and finish the edges of the motifs to complete the wall hanging.
Kit Available for Color Wakes Up for $50 postage paid. Backing may be included for an additional $14, postage paid. Order from www.GrizzlyGulchGallery.com or Grizzly Gulch Gallery, 4974 Prospector Gulch, Helena, MT 59601, (406) 443-2694.
SPECIFICATIONS Skill Level: Intermediate Wall Hanging Size: 281/4" x 47"