Winter Batik Runner
This gorgeous table runner can grace your table all through the winter.
Brush up on your piecing skills.
• 1/4 yard dark blue tonal batik* • 1/2 yard light blue tonal batik* • 1/2 yard medium blue print batik* • 5/ 8 yard dark blue print batik* • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • Basic sewing tools and supplies From medium blue print batik: • Cut 1 (41/4" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 4 (41/4") squares. Cut each square on both diagonals to make 16 C triangles. • Cut 3 (2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 2 (2" x 251/2") I strips
and 2 (2 x 161/2") J strips. From dark blue print batik: • Cut 2 (31/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 16 (31/2") A squares and 8 (23/ 8") E squares. Cut each E square in half on 1 diagonal to make 16 E triangles. • Cut 3 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of each F square.
2. Referring to Figure 1, place an F square right sides together on opposite corners of an A square and stitch on the marked lines. Trim seam allowances to 1/4" and press F to the right side to complete one A-F unit.
3. Repeat step 2 to complete a total of 16 A-F units.
4. Sew an E triangle to the right angled edge and a B triangle to the left angled edge of D to complete one B-D-E unit as shown in Figure 2; press. Repeat to make a total of 16 B-D-E units.
5. Sew a B triangle to each angled edge of C to complete a B-C unit as shown in Figure 3; press. Repeat to make a total of 16 B-C units.
6. To complete one Winter Batik block, select two each A-F, B-C and B-D-E units.
7. Join one each B-C and B-D-E unit to complete a block quarter as shown in Figure 4; press. Repeat to make a second block quarter.
8. Sew a block quarter to an A-F unit to make a row as shown in Figure 5; press. Repeat to make a second row.
9. Join the rows to complete one Winter Batik block referring to the block drawing; press. 10. Repeat steps 6–9 to complete a total of 8 Winter Batik blocks.
COMPLETING THE RUNNER
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for joining blocks in rows and adding border strips.
1. Arrange and join four Winter Batik blocks to make a row; press. Repeat to make a second row.
2. Join the rows to complete the pieced center; press.
3. Sew G strips to opposite long sides and H strips to the short ends of the pieced center; press.
4. Sew I strips to opposite long sides and J strips to the short ends of the pieced center to complete the runner top; press.
5. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94.
6. Quilt as desired.
7. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94 to finish.