Blooming Blooms Table Runner
Make a quilt appliqué project.
• 14 pink and purple batik scraps at
least 5" square • 1/2 yard light blue solid • 3/4 yard green solid • Backing to size • Batting to size* • Thread • 1/2 yard 18"-wide fusible web* • Template material or purchased
template* • Basic sewing tools and supplies *Tri-Recs Tool Set from EZ Quilting; Steam-A-Seam 2® fusible web and Warm & Natural batting from The Warm Company used to make sample.
Prepare templates using patterns given; cut as directed on patterns and as per instructions and referring to Raw-Edge Fusible Appliqué on page 14.
From light blue solid:
• Cut 1 (31/2" by fabric width) A strip. • Cut 2 (2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 14 (2" x 5")
C rectangles. • Cut 1 (41/2" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 7 (41/2" x 5")
D rectangles. • Cut 1 (2" by fabric width) strip.
Subcut strip into 2 (2" x 121/2") F strips.
From green solid:
• Cut 1 (31/2" by fabric width) B strip. • Cut 2 (11/2" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 7 (11/2" x 8") E strips. • Cut 3 (11/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 2 each 11/2" x 121/2"
G strips 11/2" x 331/2" H strips. • Cut 3 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. Fold the A strip in half to make a doubled 31/2" x 20" strip. Use the A/B template or a purchased template to cut seven each A and AR pieces from the strip (A from the top layer and AR from the bottom layer) as shown in Figure 1.
2. Repeat step 1 with the B strip to cut seven each B and BR pieces.
3. Sew A to B to make an A-B unit as shown in Figure 2; press. Repeat with AR and BR to make an AR-BR unit, again referring to Figure 2. Repeat to make a total of seven each A-B and AR-BR units. 4. To complete one Base Block, select one each A-B and AR-BR unit and D and E piece and two C rectangles. 5. Sew C to each A-B and AR-BR unit to make a leaf unit and reverse leaf unit as shown in Figure 3; press.
6. Join the two leaf units with E to complete the stem unit as shown in Figure 4; press.
7. Sew the D rectangle to the top of the stem unit to complete one Base Block as shown in Figure 5; press. 8. Repeat steps 4–7 to complete a total of seven Base Blocks.
COMPLETING THE RUNNER
Refer to the Assembly Diagram as needed for construction steps.
1. Arrange and join the seven Base Blocks and add F to each end to complete the pieced center as shown in Figure 6; press.
2. Sew G strips to each short end and H strips to opposite long sides of the pieced center; press.
3. Center and fuse a circle shape on the seam between the stem unit and D as shown in Figure 7.
4. Choose a flower to contrast with each circle. Center and fuse a flower to the center of each circle.
5. Machine-stitch around each circle and flower shape using your favorite machine-appliqué stitch and thread to match fabrics.
6. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94. 7. Quilt as desired. 8. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94 to finish.