Carefree Summer Days
Make this lovely traditional quilt for either your wall or your table. The size makes it perfect for both.
Make this quickly with a die cutter.
• 9 coordinating fat quarters* • 1/ 8 yard medium green print* • 5/ 8 yard medium pink print* • 11/ 8 yards large floral print* • 15/ 8 yards cream print* • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • Basic sewing tools and supplies *Crystal Farms fabric collection by Laundry Basket Quilts for Andover Fabrics used to make sample.
Refer to the alternate cutting chart for using AccuQuilt dies to cut pieces.
From each fat quarter:
• Cut 1 (51/4" x 20") strip. Subcut strip into 3 (51/4") squares. Cut each square on both diagonals to make 8 C triangles and 4 E triangles. • Cut 1 (41/2"x 20") strip.
Subcut strip into 1 (41/2") D square.
From medium green print:
• Cut 1 (11/2" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 16 (11/2") G squares.
From medium pink print:
• Cut 6 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
From large floral print:
• Cut 5 (61/2" by fabric width) H/I strips.
From cream print:
• Cut 5 (41/2" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 36 (41/2") A squares. • Cut 2 (51/4" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 9 (51/4") squares. Cut each square on both diagonals to make 36 B triangles. • Cut 1 (121/2" by fabric width) strip.
Subcut strip into 24 (11/2" x 121/2") F strips.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. To complete one Star block, choose pieces cut from two contrasting fabrics as follows: eight C triangles and one D square from one fabric and four E triangles from a second fabric. Select four each A squares and B triangles. 2. Sew a B triangle to a C triangle to make a B-C unit as shown in Figure 1; press. Repeat to make a total of four B-C units. 3. Repeat step 2 to make four C-E units referring to Figure 2; press. 4. Sew a B-C unit to a C-E unit to complete a side unit as shown in Figure 3; press. Repeat to make a total of four side units.
5. Sew a side unit to opposite sides of the D square to make the center row as shown in Figure 4; press.
Soft summery colors, the smell of fresh flowers and an easy-tosew pattern—you are ready to pick a bouquet of nine fat quarters to build your summer quilt. Then sit on a porch swing with a glass of cold lemonade.” —Terri Vanden Bosch
6. Sew an A square to the C sides of each of the remaining two side units to complete the top and bottom rows as shown in Figure 5; press.
7. Sew the top and bottom rows to opposite sides of the center row to complete one Star block as shown in Figure 6; press. 8. Repeat steps 1–7 to complete a total of nine Star blocks.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for construction steps.
1. Join three Star blocks with four F strips to make a block row; press. Repeat to make a total of three block rows.
2. Join three F strips with four G squares to make a sashing row; press. Repeat to make a total of four sashing rows.
3. Join the block rows with the sashing rows to complete the pieced center; press.
5. Join the H/I strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 61/2" x 521/2" I strips and 61/2" x 401/2" H strips. Note: Cut the I strips first to guarantee that the seams in the H strips will not be right at the ends of the strips. If your fabric is at least 41" wide, you
may cut each H strip from one fabric-width strip, leaving three strips to join and cut for I strips.
6. Sew H strips to the top and bottom of the pieced center and I strips to opposite sides to complete the quilt top; press.
7. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94. 8. Quilt as desired. 9. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94 to finish.
Star 12" x 12" Finished Block Make 9
Carefree Summer Days Assembly Diagram 52" x 52"
Carefree Summer Days Quilting Diagram