Strippy Cup Cozy
Make one or make a dozen. They are easy to stitch and make great little gifts.
A quick and easy project.
COMPLETING THE CUP COZY
1. Join the A and B strips in random order along the 12" sides to make an 8" x 12" unit as shown in Figure 1. Press seams in one direction.
2. Place the insulated lining rectangle on a flat surface with the silver side down and place the backing rectangle right side up on top. 3. Pin the 8" x 12" pieced unit right sides together with the layered backing/lining unit at an angle as shown in Figure 2.
4. Copy the half-pattern given and create a complete template. Pin the template to the pinned layers as shown in Figure 3; cut through all layers around template.
5. Mark the opening as given on the pattern; remove template and re-pin fabric layers.
6. Fold the elastic cord or hair band in half to form a loop.
7. Place the elastic loop in the center of one short end between the strip unit and backing layers with the loop inside and ends extending 11/4" from the edge of the pinned unit. Machine-baste to hold in place as shown in Figure 4.
8. Sew around the outside edge of the pinned layers, backstitching over the elastic to reinforce, leaving the marked opening unstitched as shown in Figure 5.
9. Clip corners and turn right side out. Push corners out and press curved edges smooth with opening edges pressed 1/4" to the inside. Hand-stitch opening edge closed.
10. Add decorative stitches to the seams between strips to add a decorative flair.
11. Sew the button 13/4" in from the end without the elastic loop to finish.