A beautiful floral print and a few coordinating fabrics are all you need to make this lovely quilt.
• 1/ 3 yard cream petals print* • 7/ 8 yard burgundy floral* • 11/4 yards blush tonal* • 21/ 3 yards rose/gold washed tonal* • 31/2 yards cream butterfly print* • Backing to size • Batting to size • Thread • Template material • Spray starch • Basic sewing tools and supplies *Floral Impressions fabric collection by Kanvas for Benartex used to make sample.
Apply spray starch to the rose/gold washed tonal, cream butterfly print and burgundy floral. Prepare templates for A and B pieces using patterns given. Cut as per patterns.
From cream petals print:
• Cut 1 (21/2" by fabric width) strip.
Subcut strip into 16 (21/2") D squares. • Cut 1 (41/ 8" by fabric width) strip. Subcut strip into 4 (41/ 8") E squares and 1 (21/2") D square (to total 17 D squares). Cut each E square on both diagonals to make 16 E triangles. Set aside 2 E triangles for another project. From blush tonal: • Cut 3 (121/2" by fabric width) strips.
Subcut strips into 48 (21/2" x 121/2") C strips. From rose/gold washed tonal: • Cut 8 (11/2" by fabric width) H/I strips. • Cut 8 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips. From cream butterfly print: • Cut 2 (181/4" by fabric width) strips. Subcut strips into 3 (181/4") F squares and 2 (93/ 8") G squares. Cut each F square on both diagonals to make 12 F triangles. Cut G squares in half on 1 diagonal to make 4 G triangles. Set aside 2 F triangles for another project.
COMPLETING THE BLOCKS
1. To complete one Orange Peel 1 block, select one A2 piece and four B pieces. 2. Fold the A2 piece in quarters and crease to mark the centers. Fold each B piece to mark the center of the curved edge. 3. Pin the curved edge of one B piece to A2, matching creased center lines as shown in Figure 1.
5. With A2 on top, ease curved edge of B to match the curve in A2, pinning in place as you go as shown in Figure 3.
6. Sew pinned edges together; press seam toward A2.
7. Repeat steps 3–6 with remaining three B pieces to complete one Orange Peel 1 block.
8. Repeat steps 1–7 to complete a total of 12 Orange Peel 1 blocks.
9. Repeat steps 1–7 to complete six Orange Peel 2 blocks, using A1 and B pieces.
COMPLETING THE QUILT
Refer to the Assembly Diagram for construction steps.
1. Arrange and join the Orange Peel 1 and 2 blocks in diagonal rows with C strips, and F and G triangles to make block rows.
2. Arrange and join C strips with D squares and E triangles to make sashing rows.
3. Join the sashing rows with the block rows; press.
4. Sew an E triangle to each end of a C strip and add G to make a corner unit; press. Repeat to make a second corner unit.
5. Sew a corner unit to the two opposite corners to complete the quilt center; press.
6. Join the H/I strips on the short ends to make one long strip; press. Subcut strip into two each 11/2" x 80" H strips and 11/2" x 621/8" I strips. Note: Because this is a diagonal setting and has sashing strips, measure the sides of your quilt center before cutting strip lengths to guarantee that they will fit.
7. Sew H strips to opposite sides and I strips to the top and bottom of the quilt center to complete the quilt top; press.
8. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 94.
9. Quilt as desired. 10. Bind edges referring to Quilting Basics on page 94 to finish. QW