COMPLETING THE TOTE
1. Sew an E strip to one 20" edge of each D rectangle to make two D-E units referring to Figure 2; press.
2. Fuse a 20" square of fusible foam to the wrong side of each D-E unit referring to the manufacturer’s instructions. Machine-baste around edges to secure.
3. Place each block right sides together with an L square. Sew all around leaving a 3" opening on bottom edge.
4. Trim corners, turn right side out and then turn the opening seam allowance to the inside; press edges smooth to complete the large pockets.
5. Center a large pocket on each D-E unit; stitch side and bottom edges to the D-E unit, leaving the top edge open as shown in Figure 3.
6. Fold each G inner pocket rectangle in half along length with right sides together.
7. Stitch on the 20" edge, leaving ends open; turn right side out and press with seam at the bottom.
8. Measure and mark a line 4" up from the bottom edge of one H lining square; pin the bottom edge of the G pocket along the marked line. Stitch in place along the pinned edge and baste in place at each end as shown in Figure 4. Repeat with the second G pocket rectangle and the remaining H lining square.
9. Measure in 6" from each end and mark a straight line from the top to the bottom of each G pocket, referring to Figure 5; stitch on the marked lines to create pocket sections.
10. Place the two H lining pieces right sides together and stitch the sides and across the bottom, leaving a 4" opening on the bottom edge; clip corners, turn right side out and press seam edges flat.
11. Join the two D-E units on one D-E edge; press.
12. Fold the K strip in half along length with wrong sides together; press to complete the K flange strip.
13. Pin the K flange strip to the E edge of the D-E unit, matching raw edges; stitch to hold in place as shown in Figure 6.
14. Fold the F pocket rectangle in half with right sides together to make a 41/2" x 61/4" rectangle. Stitch around open edges, leaving a 3" opening on one side edge as shown in Figure 7; clip corners and turn right side out through the opening. Press flat with opening edges to the inside.
15. Center and pin the prepared F pocket on the seam of the D-E unit 51/2" down from the top E edge as shown
in Figure 8. Topstitch side and bottom edges to secure the F pocket in place, again referring to Figure 8.
16. Fold the stitched D-E unit right sides together and stitch the remaining side and bottom seams to complete the outer shell as shown in Figure 9.
17. Center and fuse a 1" x 25" fusiblefoam strip to each J handle strip. Fold the sides of the J strip over onto the foam strip as shown in Figure 10; press.
18. Press the edges of each I strip to the center of the wrong side to make 1"-wide strips; press.
19. Layer a J/foam and I strip with wrong sides together; stitch 1/4" in from each long edge to complete one handle strip as shown in Figure 11. Repeat to make a second handle strip.
20. Measure in 4" from each side seam on the top edge of the front and back of the outer shell and mark with pins as shown in Figure 12.
21. Pin a handle strip right sides together on one side of tote with outer edges aligned with the pins; machine-baste to hold in place as shown in Figure 13. Repeat with the second handle strip on the opposite side of tote.
D-E Unit Make 2