Man killed at deer hunt; woman found in frozen field; death in Huntly

Rappahannock News - - FRONT PAGE - By John Mc­caslin

It was an ex­tremely busy hol­i­day pe­riod for the lo­cal law en­force­ment and other emer­gency re­spon­ders, in­clud­ing rush­ing to a deadly hunt­ing ac­ci­dent near Slate Mills, dis­cov­er­ing a woman in a frozen field be­hind Willis Chapel, and in­ves­ti­gat­ing a sus­pected sui­cide in Huntly.

It was just two days be­fore Christ­mas that a Culpeper man was shot and killed while deer hunt­ing in Rap­pa­han­nock County.

Lee Walker, the Vir­ginia Depart­ment of Game and In­land Fish­eries’ di­rec­tor of agency out­reach, tells the Rap­pa­han­nock News that Jamie DeJuan Hill, 48, was pro­nounced dead on Satur­day, Dec. 23, fol­low­ing the ap­par­ent ac­ci­den­tal shoot­ing that took place that same morn­ing in the vicin­ity of Slate Mills Road and Grind­stone Road near Bos­ton.

Walker says his depart­ment was no­ti­fied by the sher­iff’s of­fice and a fish and

game of­fi­cer was dis­patched to the scene to in­ves­ti­gate.

“A group of hunters were run­ning dogs while deer hunt­ing,” ac­cord­ing to the of­fi­cer’s pre­lim­i­nary re­port. “A deer ran in be­tween three of the hunters and mul­ti­ple shots were fired. The vic­tim was struck by a sin­gle shot and trans­ported to Culpeper Med­i­cal Cen­ter.”

The of­fi­cer, who was no­ti­fied of the shoot­ing at 9:38 a.m., con­firms in the ini­tial re­port that the vic­tim was wear­ing blaze or­ange.

“This is a pre­lim­i­nary re­port,” ac­cord­ing to the depart­ment, say­ing the shoot­ing in­ci­dent re­mains un­der in­ves­ti­ga­tion. But speak­ing by phone yes­ter­day from Rich­mond, Walker stressed that ev­ery­thing points at this time to it be­ing “an ac­ci­dent.”

He then stressed the im­por­tance for hunters, be­fore shoot­ing, to “clearly iden­tify your game and what is be­yond.”

A fu­neral ser­vice for Hill, who was em­ployed for 11 years by Lane Con­struc­tion Cor­po­ra­tion, was held this past Tues­day in Culpeper. He is sur­vived by his fi­ancé, also of Culpeper, and nu­mer­ous fam­ily mem­bers.

Mean­while, the sher­iff’s of­fice is await­ing a med­i­cal ex­am­iner’s re­port be­fore of­fi­cially clas­si­fy­ing a Dec. 29th death in Huntly as a sui­cide.

Ac­cord­ing to Sher­iff Con­nie Comp­ton, a male sub­ject had gone out­side late that night to feed his horses and never re­turned to his home, which is when her of­fice was called. Deputies ar­rived at the scene and were able to lo­cate the man, who was ap­par­ently de­ceased.

In an un­re­lated call that same Dec. 29 morn­ing, au­thor­i­ties dis­cov­ered Huntly dog breeder San­dra L. Stone ly­ing in a frozen field near her home at 24 Black Rock Ford Rd., just be­hind Willis Chapel.

Ac­cord­ing to a mem­ber of the Ch­ester Gap Vol­un­teer Fire Depart­ment, the woman “was re­spon­sive” when they ar­rived on the scene but she later died.

“It doesn’t take long in these tem­per­a­tures,” said the fire­man. Tem­per­a­tures on Fri­day morn­ing hov­ered around 13 de­grees in Rap­pa­han­nock County, with a wind speed of about 10 miles per hour, mak­ing the wind chill tem­per­a­ture even colder.

That said, it has not been de­ter­mined whether Stone died of ex­po­sure or if there was some other cause of death. It is also not known how long she was ly­ing in the field be­fore be­ing dis­cov­ered.

Sgt. Les Tyler of the Vir­ginia State Po­lice, which is lead­ing the in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the woman’s death, told the Rap­pa­han­nock News that troop­ers re­ceived a call for a wel­fare check at ap­prox­i­mately 9:30 that morn­ing. Trooper B.R. Boteler was among the first on the scene “and lo­cated the woman out­side her res­i­dence,” Tyler said.

The sergeant said Stone was trans­ported to the hospi­tal, where she died at 2:29 p.m. that af­ter­noon.

Stone, who was be­lieved to be in her mid-70s, was an owner and breeder of dober­man pin­sch­ers, ac­cord­ing to on­line list­ings for the dogs.

Mean­while, nu­mer­ous se­ri­ous mo­tor ve­hi­cle ac­ci­dents were re­ported in the county over the hol­i­day pe­riod, ac­cord­ing to Sher­iff Comp­ton. This re­porter hap­pened on the scene of one such mul­ti­ve­hi­cle crash on Christ­mas morn­ing at Cle­vengers Corner, where one of the in­jured per­sons was ejected from their ve­hi­cle and flown by mede­vac he­li­copter to the hospi­tal.

Sher­iff Comp­ton also said that her depart­ment was “out in force” over the hol­i­day pe­riod, es­pe­cially on New Year’s eve, han­dling any sus­pected cases of reck­less driv­ing or driv­ing un­der the in­flu­ence.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.