Organ and Stool
Music has always played an essential role in the lives of the L.D.S. Saints, even in those early pioneer days when heavy trials and difficulties were a part of their daily lives. From their earliest beginnings the pioneers found solace and comradery in the musical experiences that they shared.
There was always a congregation of singers among the pioneer groups, and some of the hymns sang today were composed in the early days of the L.D.S. Church. You would find pianos and organs in most of the homes of the pioneers.
This beautiful organ was made of walnut wood. It has maroon material set in back of the wood cutout. It was made by the Chicago Cottage Organ Company. The stool is black metal with a red velvet seat.
This organ and stool were donated to the D.U.P. on May 6, 1946 by the John and Amelia ersson Family.
Joh Persson was born in Sweden in 1850. He came to Payson in 1877. John was a Taylor by trade.
Amelia Jane Keele Persson was born in 1862 in Payson. Her mother was Lottie May Wilson. Her grandfather was Alexander Keele, a well known man from Payson.
John and Amelia were married in 1881 in Salt Lake City. They lived their entire lives in Payson.
Nine children were born to them, but only six lived to adulthood.
Amelia was a member of the D.U.P.. She joined the D.U.P. in 1927. Her number was 2,936. She belonged to Camp One.
Amelia died at age 76, in December 1938. Her husband John, died in June 1940, he was 91 years old.
John and Amelia Persson family owned this organ before it was donated to D.U.P.