Lo­cal kite­boarder fights back af­ter se­ri­ous in­jury

Serve Daily - - FRONT PAGE - By Springville res­i­dent Dar­ren Say­ers

Edi­tor’s note: This is the con­tin­u­a­tion of a story that ran in the Jan­uary 2015 edition of ServeDaily.

Af­ter wak­ing up from the coma, I was in the Re­hab Clinic for six weeks. A to­tal of two months had gone by since I had the ac­ci­dent and I was be­ing re­leased from the hos­pi­tal. Then be­gan the life re­cov­ery process.

I worked with Utah Val­ley Re­gional Med­i­cal Cen­ter in Provo and Phys­i­cal Ther­a­pist Shane Rosen­berg and con­tin­ued my fight to walk. When I left the hos­pi­tal I could only walk a few feet un­aided. Now it was all up to me and my at­ti­tude was I must do it!

Over the next year, I pro­gres­sively im­proved my walk­ing. Goal num­ber one: I walked from the front door of my house to the end of the block. Goal num­ber two, I walked around the block and then around my neigh­bor­hood. Later, I fi­nally reached my goal of one mile. My next ma­jor goal was to reach three miles, which took another year.

Then another shift in the plans oc­curred. I had what I thought was an ab-

scessed tooth and went to the den­tist. The den­tist took X-rays, sent me to see a spe­cial­ist and they did a biopsy. Then life dealt me yet another won­der­ful hand - a di­ag­no­sis of Non-Hodgkins Lym­phoma can­cer. No way could this be hap­pen­ing to me af­ter what I have just been through. I wanted to be sure and had a sec­ond biopsy on my jaw. The same re­sult!

I im­me­di­ately got into can­cer treat­ment at the Hunts­man Can­cer In­sti­tute in Salt Lake City. The next six months were filled with in­fu­sion vis­its to the HCI Chemo­ther­apy Clinic and then a cou­ple of months of ra­di­a­tion treat­ment back at UVRMC. I was told that my chemo­ther­apy side ef­fects would in­clude night sweats, nau­sea and a se­vere fever. How­ever, God spared me hav­ing to suf­fer these ef­fects, but I did lose all my hair. Nine months later, I fin­ished the treat­ment process and be­gan the wait­ing game of re­mis­sion. Year one went by and no re-growth of the can­cer. Year two, same re­sult and the can­cer is now gone and I am in com­plete re­mis­sion. It was time to get goal-fo­cused again. The win­ter of 2013 marked a huge ad­vance­ment for me. I got back on a kite­board on the snow and started to re-train my mus­cles to be ca­pa­ble of han­dling the forces of kite­board­ing again. I was able to move back to the wa­ter in the sum­mer of 2014.

Early in 2014, I started ath­letic train­ing with El­e­vated CrossFit. I shared my story and goal of re­cov­ery with coaches Tyson Hen­rie, Braden Jenk­ins and Alan Perkes. They de­signed a pro­gram of mod­i­fied ex­er­cises for my abil­i­ties and I am im­prov­ing my bal­ance and strength.

I have been inspired to share my story and help oth­ers through giv­ing pos­i­tive in­spi­ra­tion. My next goal is to mo­ti­vate and in­spire oth­ers to achieve their goals and dreams. I will con­tinue to reach for new goals and mo­ti­vate oth­ers to “Do it!” What­ever your dreams are, you can do it! You must do it!

To have Dar­ren Say­ers speak live for your event or group, con­tact him at imust­doit@mail.com.

Peter Miller

Dar­ren Say­ers snow kit­ing at Sky­line Drive, Utah

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.