Springville’s National Guard Armory is historically significant
The Springville National Guard Armory located at 125 S. 700 East has been a part of the Springville community for many years and yet many people still don’t know it exists. Many residents believe it is part of the junior high school that sits next to it. In contrast to many other armories in the state, the Springville armory is small but boasts a long history.
The Utah Army National Guard began planning for the Springville Armory in 1948. The armory started service as a maintenance garage in 1956. In the interim, the Utah Army National Guard maintained offices in the Memorial Hall Building.
The first Utah National Guard unit to occupy the Springville Armory was the 116th Regiment of Engineers (now represented by the 116th Engineer Company). Brigadier General Maxwell E. Rich hoped construction of the armory would encourage local residents to join the National Guard. When dedicating the armory, he noted the past accomplishments of the Utah Army National Guard including the creation of miles of new jeep trails for a hugely successful summer encampment, the staging of annual military balls, the election of a Miss Utah National Guard, and the implementation of a 30-station radio network called MARS for use in the event of military or civil emergencies.
The Springville Armory retains its original architectural integrity and is an excellent example of a 1950s Cold Warera National Guard Armory building. The Springville Armory building is one of four similarly designed Utah Army National Guard armories from the early to mid-1950s (the other three are in Provo, Murray and American Fork). The Springville Armory is historically significant for its role in the training of National Guard troops during the Cold War period. The armory was remodeled in 2013 to bring it up to date, but not much has changed in the old building over the years, and it remains a historical site to this day.
Currently the Headquarters and Headquarters Company 489th Brigade Support Battalion resides in the armory. The 489th provides full-spectrum logistics to military units and civilian authorities when called upon.