Serve Daily - - FRONT PAGE - By John Dan­ger eld

Re­cently, I cel­e­brated the 40th year (June 12, 1975) of break­ing my leg at Big Springs.

In 1975, soon af­ter grad­u­a­tion from Provo High School, I ac­cepted a job to as­sist Provo City’s “5th grade camp” at Big Springs up Provo Canyon. Camp started in 1969 and ran Mon­day through Fri­day with dif­fer­ent ac­tiv­i­ties each day. Thurs­day was the hike to Cas­cade Sad­dle. How­ever, we en­coun­tered snow on the trail. In­stead of hik­ing, we slid on the snow. While slid­ing, the heel of my right foot hit a “in­dent” in the snow, and I broke my leg.

A stretcher was built, and I was car­ried two-and-one-half to three miles, then driven to the hos­pi­tal. My leg was X-rayed. The head of the fibula was bro­ken and I was placed in a cast for six weeks. The hill we were slid­ing was named “John’s Hill.” I am the “John” of John’s Hill.

When the cast was re­moved, how­ever, my leg was un­sta­ble. My mother in­sisted we visit another doc­tor. He de­ter­mined I didn’t have an An­te­rior Cru­ci­ate Lig­a­ment. When I broke my leg, I also sev­ered my ACL. This would lead to three re­con­struc­tions of my knee, one be­fore mis­sion and two fol­low­ing. Fast for­ward. In 2008, I opened a hot dog res­tau­rant called “Kranky Franks.” I was “Kranky” and my wife Taffy was “Frank.” Af­ter five years, Taffy no­ticed I was act­ing dif­fer­ently and felt some­thing was wrong.

She drove me to the emer­gency room; they rec­om­mended a CAT scan fol­lowed by an MRI. Their di­ag­no­sis: “You have a small tu­mor at the base of your brain. This has closed the nat­u­ral “drain” in your head.” Known as “hy­dro­cephalus,” it needed to be cor­rected.

We se­lected the Univer­sity of Utah for the surgery. Upon ar­riv­ing, I was greeted by two of my boys who gave me an LDS priest­hood bless­ing.

I was sur­rounded by my chil­dren, still wear­ing a BYU Cougar jacket. Alan, my son, said, “You bet­ter take that off or they won’t treat you here!”

On March 7, 2013 — my 56th birth­day - I had surgery. Doc­tor Randy Jensen de­scribed the prob­lem as “hy­dro­cephalus with an ob­struc­tion,” and he didn’t find a brain tu­mor.

Another mir­a­cle hap­pened. My chil­dren opened Kranky Franks for a two­day sale to cover the in­sur­ance de­ductible. Com­mu­nity sup­port was in­cred­i­ble and the de­ductible was cov­ered. I en­tered Univer­sity Hos­pi­tal with a BYU Cougar jacket but left with a red Univer­sity of Utah School of Medicine hat.

Thirty-eight years af­ter in­jur­ing my knee, I now had in­sur­ance to fix it. In July of 2013, Dr. Kirk Kim­ball re­placed my knee with an ar­ti­fi­cial knee. I left the hos­pi­tal with­out a cast on my leg and walk­ing.

God took my leg as a youth and had now re­turned my leg. He is a real per­son, and the power of His Priest­hood is real. Yes, “John” from “John’s Hill” and “Kranky” of “Kranky Franks” are the same per­son.

On Thurs­day, July 16, 2015, I will re­turn to Big Springs to hike to the sad­dle. Leav­ing from the up­per park­ing lot at 8 a.m., it is ap­prox­i­mately an 11-mile round trip hike. Come join me and see the true beauty of the area. It is a sa­cred spot.

John Danger­field

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.