Getting ready for Nov. 6
The editors of the Montgomery Media newspapers are committed to providing fair, thorough and accurate coverage of election contests and to making available space for the exchange of opinions. We strive to follow the guidelines published below in an attempt to encourage public statements by candidates and to promote fairness. PURPOSE • 7KH SuUSRVH RI WKHVH JuLGHOLnHV IRU FDPSDLJn UHporting is to ensure fair, accurate and thorough accounts of all election campaigns in our coverage area.
• :H DOVR LnWHnG WR EH DFWLvH Ln FDPSDLJn UHSRUWLnJ VR that readers know more about the candidates and issues than merely what the candidates want them to know. kEWS • :H LnvLWH HDFK FDnGLGDWH WR VuEPLW D ELRJUDSKy, platform and subsequent campaign releases from candidates as a source of information for use in staff-written reports.
• GHnHUDOOy, wH wLOO JLvH PRUH DWWHnWLRn WR FRnWHVWHG races. We will attempt to interview all candidates in contested elections in the deneral Assembly for the kov. 6 election. PHOTOS • 5HTuHVWV IRU FDPSDLJn SuEOLFLWy SKRWRV DnG SKRWRV submitted by candidates will be judged for newsworthiness.
• 3KRWRV RI LnFuPEHnWV Ln WKH FRuUVH RI WKHLU GuWLHV will be considered campaign photographs if they invROvH SURPRWLRn RI WKH RIfiFH-KROGHU. iETTERS TO THE EDITOR • :H wLOO DSSOy nRUPDO SROLFy WR OHWWHUV DERuW FDnGLdates and issues: We will publish them if they can be FRnfiUPHG DnG GR nRW vLRODWH OHJDO DnG WDVWH FRnVLGHUations.
• ,n WKH ODVW LVVuH EHIRUH Dn HOHFWLRn, wH wLOO nRW SuElish an accusation against an individual in a letter to the editor.
• :H UHVHUvH WKH ULJKW WR VHOHFW UHSUHVHnWDWLvH vLHwpoints if we receive a large number of letters on one subject.
• :H VWURnJOy GLVFRuUDJH FDnGLGDWHV DnG WKHLU VuSporters from organizing letter-writing campaigns, especially where one person prepares more than one letter for different signatures. REPRIkTIkd • &DnGLGDWHV DUH UHPLnGHG WKDW nR PDWHULDO IURP WKH newspaper may be reprinted without permission.
By Kathy Disque