Officers hospitalized after exposure Call to aid drug overdose victim may have exposed them to deadly fentanyl
Two New Hanover police officers were taken to the hospital Wednesday, Oct. 4, after being exposed to what police believe was carfentanil, a deadly synthetic opioid.
Officers received a call Wednesday at approximately 10:15 p.m. for a reported overdose on the 2200 block of Big Road near Hickory Park, police said. Officers quickly attended to the victim but soon after became ill at the scene, police said.
Both officers, whose names were not released, were taken to area hospitals for treatment and later released. They have now been cleared for full duty.
Police say they believe the officers were exposed to fentanyl or carfentanil. Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opioid that is similar to morphine but is 50 to 100 times more potent. Carfentanil is a derivative of fentanyl that comes in forms including powder, blotter paper, or spray, and can be absorbed through skin or accidental inhalation. It is estimated to be about 10,000 times more powerful than morphine. The drug can be lethal in amounts less than one milligram, according to authorities.
Early Thursday morning, The Montgomery County Hazardous Material team could be seen outside the New Hanover Township building to decontaminate a police car and several other items inside the building.
Police have not provided an update on the status of the overdose victim.
The Montgomery County Hazardous Material Team was called to the New Hanover Township Building Thursday morning to decontaminate a police car and other items inside the township building.