Cosby ac­cuser de­nies al­le­ga­tion of scam

The Columbus Dispatch - - Front Page - By Michael R. Sisak and Clau­dia Lauer

NOR­RIS­TOWN, Pa. — Bill Cosby’s chief ac­cuser on Mon­day re­jected a de­fense al­le­ga­tion that she man­u­fac­tured her ac­count of sex­ual mo­lesta­tion and was backed up by her mother, who said the co­me­dian called him­self a “sick man.”

An­drea Con­stand with­stood a de­fense cross-ex­am­i­na­tion that sought to ex­pose her as a con artist who set Cosby up, leav­ing the wit­ness stand at his re­trial with­out hav­ing budged off her al­le­ga­tion that he drugged and mo­lested her at his sub­ur­ban Philadel­phia home in 2004.

Con­stand, a for­mer Tem­ple Uni­ver­sity women’s bas­ket­ball ad­min­is­tra­tor, re­mained calm and com­posed through­out lasted more than seven hours over two days.

Her mother fol­lowed her on the wit­ness stand Mon­day. She tes­ti­fied about a phone con­ver­sa­tion she said she had with Cosby about a year af­ter the al­leged as­sault. She said Cosby told her he’d given An­drea Con­stand a pre­scrip­tion drug — not the cold and al­lergy medicine Be­nadryl, as he has claimed re­cently. She said he also de­scribed how he’d touched her daugh­ter’s breasts and vagina and guided her hand to his pe­nis.

“He said to me, ‘Don’t worry, Mom, there was no pe­nile pen­e­tra­tion,’” Gianna Con­stand tes­ti­fied.

She told jurors that Cosby said he “felt like a dirty old per­verted man” and con­ceded he was a “sick man.”

An­drea Con­stand told jurors last week that Cosby knocked then sex­u­ally as­saulted her. Cosby, now 80, says Con­stand con­sented to a sex­ual en­counter.

The de­fense is try­ing to por­tray Con­stand as an op­por­tunist who feigned ro­man­tic in­ter­est in Cosby and then lev­eled a false ac­cu­sa­tion so she could file a law­suit.

The de­fense said Con­stand called Cosby twice on Valen­tine’s Day, about a month af­ter the al­leged as­sault. Con­stand has said her phone calls to Cosby were about bas­ket­ball and had noth­ing to do with ro­mance.

Phone records show Con­stand made brief calls to Cosby around the time of a Tem­ple home game on Feb. 14, 2004, a month af­ter the al­leged as­sault. Con­stand tes­ti­fied that she felt a duty to an­swer Cosby’s in­quiries be­cause he was a pow­er­ful trustee.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.