Tri Park Annual Pass fee to increase
The Tri Park Annual Pass, which allows unlimited entry for one year to three national parks in Hawaii, including Maui’s Haleakala National Park, will increase from $30 to $50 beginning June 1.
The pass also allows unlimited entry to Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park and Pu‘uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, both on Hawaii island.
The National Park Service said on Friday that the increase this year and other increases to follow in coming years will help provide additional funding for infrastructure and maintenance needs to enhance the visitor experience. The Tri Park pass increase aligns with other national parks that have similar visitation, a news release said.
Effective Jan. 1, 2020, Haleakala National Park entrance fees will be raised by $5 to the following: $30 per vehicle, $25 per motorcycle and $15 per pedestrian or bicyclist.
The fees will allow entry for three days, with receipt. The Tri Park Annual Pass will cost $55.
The nationwide America the Beautiful Annual Pass and the Lifetime Senior Pass will each remain at $80.
There is no charge to the National Park Service’s current policy regarding kanaka maoli who wish to conduct traditional cultural practices at the park.
The current National Park Service fee program began in 1997 and allows parks to retain 80 percent of monies collected. The remaining 20 percent supports park units where fees are not charged.
Since 1997, fee revenues have funded more than $42 million in Haleakala National Park projects, including restoring park trails, controlling invasive species and making improvements such as building new restrooms, having portable water for visitors and a parking lot in the park’s Kipahulu District, a news release said.