Sus­pen­sion rec­om­mended for at­tor­ney

The Morning Journal (Lorain, OH) - - LOCAL NEWS - By Keith Reynolds kreynolds@morningjournal. com @MJ_KReynolds on Twit­ter

A Lo­rain County area at­tor­ney could face a sus­pen­sion from prac­tic­ing law for two years.

Ac­cord­ing to a re­port from the Board of Pro­fes­sional Con­duct of the Supreme Court of Ohio, it rec­om­mends Ken­neth J. Lewis, of Brunswick, be sus­pended from prac­tic­ing for two years, with six months of that stayed, if he com­plies with all the terms of his twoyear con­tract with the Ohio Lawyers As­sis­tance Pro­gram, con­tinue at­tend­ing al­co­holics anony­mous and re­frain from fur­ther mis­con­duct.

Lewis also would be re­quired to demon­strate his abil­ity to re­turn to prac­tic­ing the law com­pe­tently, eth­i­cally and pro­fes­sion­ally, as well as serv­ing a two-year mon­i­tor­ing pe­riod upon re­in­state­ment, the re­port said.

The rec­om­mended sus­pen­sion is the re­sult of an in­ci­dent Lewis and an­other at­tor­ney were in­volved in June 8, 2016.

Lewis, who was then 42, and Heather Wilsey, who was 26, were charged by the Elyria Po­lice Depart­ment after crash­ing a gray Acura TL into a util­ity pole.

Ac­cord­ing to po­lice re­ports, Wilsey and Lewis, who were in­tox­i­cated, told of­fi­cers an un­known black male was driv­ing the car at the time of the crash after of­fer­ing to drive them home.

After watch­ing sur­veil­lance video, po­lice as­cer­tained Wilsey was driv­ing and Lewis was the front seat pas­sen­ger.

Ac­cord­ing to the pro­fes­sional con­duct board re­port, Lewis tes­ti­fied Wilsey told po­lice of the fic­ti­tious black man, but was con­tra­dicted by the tes­ti­mony of the po­lice.

Lewis later was found guilty of ob­struct­ing of­fi­cial busi­ness in Elyria Mu­nic­i­pal Court. He was sen­tenced to 90 days in jail, with 80 days sus­pended, ac­cord­ing to the re­port.

Lewis was in­volved with po­lice again in Septem­ber 2016, when he was driv­ing while in­tox­i­cated in Brunswick, the re­port said.

Wilsey was in the car with him as he was ar­rested and charged with OVI, ac­cord­ing to the re­port.

Wilsey was found dead Feb. 20 of a sus­pected opi­oid over­dose, ac­cord­ing to Lo­rain County Coro­ner Dr. Stephen Evans.

Lewis has sought and re­ceived treat­ment for his al­co­holism and con­tin­ues to at­tend al­co­holics anony­mous meet­ings, the re­port said.

Ac­cord­ing to the re­port, Lewis vi­o­lated at least six pro­fes­sional rules of con­duct be­tween the two OVI in­ci­dents.

Phone calls to Lewis and his at­tor­ney, Kevin R. Mar­c­haza, were not re­turned.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.