Man faces charges for alleged home invasion
NEW MILFORD » A local man is facing charges after attempting to break into a home while residents fought to keep him out, according to town police.
Michael D. Saunders, 33, of 5 Sandy Acres Lane, New Milford, was arrested June 19 and charged with first-degree burglary, attempt to commit second-degree assault, second-degree assault, home invasion and third-degree criminal mischief, according to state records.
His case was transferred from Bantam Superior Court to Litchfield Superior Court earlier this month.
According to an arrest report from New Milford police, Saunders attempted to break into a home, fighting with the family inside as he attempted to gain entry. He was “covered in blood” when police arrived and had multiple lacerations on his body, according to the report.
Saunders told police he was afraid of two men that were chasing him, so he attempted to force his way into the home. There was no sign of anyone chasing him, according to police.
Victims told police Saunders
was yelling and screaming and had broken the door and windows in his attempt to gain entry. He had attempted to force his way into the home while they physically tried to stop him and grabbed a baseball bat from one of the people attempting to keep him out of the home, police said.
According to the report, victims in the home suffered lacerations and injuries to their hands. Multiple victims told police they feared for their lives, according to the report.
Saunders told police he had broken glass and the door to the home, according to the report. He said he had not used drugs, but has an issue with drinking.
Saunders was arrested and taken to Danbury Hospital without incident for evaluation, according to the report. He was arraigned June 21 and has been released on $150,000 surety bail, according to state records.
Saunders is next scheduled to appear in court Aug. 31.