Johnson case to go to the grand jury next year
The case involving a suspended school administrator is heading to the next level, according to the latest from the District Attorney’s office.
Charges against suspended Youngs Grove Elementary School assistant principal Matthew Johnson have been forwarded along to the grand jury, according to District Attorney Jack Browning.
He said that was the result of a first hearing on the case held last week on Wednesday, Dec. 13.
The grand jury is expected to take up the case “early next year,” Browning said.
Johnson turned himself into the Polk County Jail and later bonded out on charges stemming from a mid- November incident where he is alleged to have dragged a thirdgrader across several yards of carpeted floor causing burns after the child refused to respond to directions while in the principal’s office.
The Department of Family and Children’s Services got involved in the case, who then referred it to the police department. The report stated that Johnson was then placed on administrative leave once police informed the school district that an investigation was about to begin.
A Dec. 11 hearing had initially been scheduled to decide whether Johnson would remain suspended with pay while court proceedings continued, but it was called off after the school district and representatives for Johnson came to an agreement, and his suspension was upheld.
The grand jury will examine the case and issue a decision on whether the evidence against Johnson merits the charges of felony cruelty to children in the second degree and misdemeanor charges of reckless conduct, battery and simple battery.