Stories read the most at Taosnews.com, August 23-29
1. Hearings underway to dismiss charges against 3 NNM compound defendants 2. Man steals Taos County ambulance, takes brief joy ride
3. Nine fugitives arrested by Taos County Sheriff’s parole office
4. Four defendants still held, motions to dismiss filed
5. DA: NNM compound defendants planned to attack Georgia hospital
Our readers had lots of opinions on this story:
Hearings underway to dismiss charges against 3 NNM compound defendants
Very disappointed in the great state of New Mexico. My favorite place in the U.S. I will have to think over my planned visit to NM for fall. I can take my dollars to some place that has a better handle on how things are done. This is a fright!
– LISA TALLCHIEF DFCS is a joke in this state. They could care less about children. Trust me, I as a grandparent fought for my grandchild but was told that it was the mother’s right to be addicted to drugs and live on the streets with my 6-monthold grandchild.
- KERRY SMITH It is sloppy, and so typical for New Mexico, the third world country of America where justice is never done and children suffer because of it, we are a national laughing stock, and now a magnet for these kind of criminals.
- MIKE JOHNSON Neglect equals abuse—“Failing to meet the basic needs of a child, including food, clothes, shelter, hygiene, necessary medical and mental care, and education.”
- ELIZABETH BLUHM Judges following the law! Don’t like the decisions... work to change the law.
- DONNA TED MOTSINGER Perhaps a Grand Jury will be convened to review the case? If so, I wonder if jurors can be found who have not been “influenced” by media reports?
- JOHN G LAPIN I have followed this case closely.
How anyone can blame the judges for following the Amended State of New Mexico constitution is beyond me. There are two entities to blame in this case... The people that voted for the amendment and the prosecution. So folks... blame yourselves for not understanding what you’re voting on.
- JOE KENNEDY If the defendants are not held today, this may be the place for all folks who want to abuse kids and commit crimes to go and get away with it. What is DFCS role in this? Did they never check on these kids while they were at this compound? And why will no one answer this question?
- RON BLAKEY