Hat­boro-Horsham sur­vives Bears

Times Chronicle & Public Spirit - - SPORTS - By Alex Wahl

WIL­LOW GROVE >> In a thrilling end­ing at Up­per More­land High School, the Hat­boro-Horsham foot­ball squad sur­vived a late come­back to beat the Bears with a fi­nal score of 14-8.

For pretty much the en­tire game, the Hat­ters and Bears were within a onepos­ses­sion game.

Hat­boro-Horsham started the scor­ing with Amir Booker run­ning for a 10-yard touch­down to put the Hat­ters up 7-0 af­ter the first quar­ter.

Up­per More­land wasn’t able to score back un­til late in the sec­ond quar­ter when Caleb Mead ran for 44 yards for six points.

Af­ter Hat­boro-Horsham was caught off­side for the ex­tra point, Mead took full ad­van­tage go­ing for a one­yard two-point con­ver­sion run to take an 8-7 lead at half­time.

Both de­fenses were on point for the third quar­ter keep­ing the score 8-7 head­ing into the fi­nal quar­ter.

With a lit­tle over two min­utes left in the game, the Hat­ters shocked the en­tire sta­dium.

When quar­ter­back Pa­trick Chap­man was los­ing bal­ance at the line of scrim­mage, he found a wide-open re­ceiver Jor­dan Co­lazzo for a 65-yard touch­down pass to give Hat­boro-Horsham the 14-8 lead.

The Up­per More­land Bears did ev­ery­thing they could to strike back with less than two min­utes left in the game, and they al­most did.

With 30 sec­onds left in the game, Up­per More­land’s quar­ter­back Jon Knight con­nected on a pass in the end zone for a touch­down.

How­ever, the touch­down was erased be­cause of an of­fen­sive pass in­ter­fer­ence call, which later lead to an in­ter­cep­tion caught by the Hat­ters de­fense to ul­ti­mately end the game.

Up­per More­land head coach CJ Szy­d­lik wasn’t thrilled with the last penalty, which was also the ninth penalty called on the Up­per More­land team.

“Penal­ties have been re­ally bad for us so far this sea­son,” said Szy­d­lik. “When we play so many young kids, that what we kinda ex­pected es­pe­cially when they are learn­ing about that.”

“Ev­ery­thing is a les­son to be learned for this team,” added Szy­d­lik. “It was a tough call at the end, but hope­fully we will be bet­ter be­cause of it.”

Chap­man was thrilled for his team to get the huge vic­tory on the road head­ing into a bye week.

“This win means the world to me,” said Chap­man. “I was play­ing with my broth­ers. Even though we’re not re­ally re­lated, we treat each other like fam­ily and that’s why we won tonight.”

Co­lazzo was im­pressed get­ting this win es­pe­cially af­ter los­ing to Up­per More­land last year by one point.

“I wasn’t able to play in this game last year,” said Co­lazzo. “Com­ing out tonight and set­ting the tone for the rest of the sea­son is a great feel­ing.”

Hat­boro-Horsham head coach Mike Ka­pusta was im­pressed with the de­fen­sive ef­forts from his Hat­ters.

“I thought the de­fen­sive ef­fort was a to­tal team ef­fort tonight,” said Ka­pusta. “They were stop­ping a great run­ning back tonight and also stop­ping the pass from a quar­ter­back with a rocket arm.”

Hat­boro-Horsham will keep the mo­men­tum go­ing in two weeks on Fri­day, Oc­to­ber 12 when it trav­els to Chel­tenham for a 7 p.m. kick­off. That game also marks Chel­tenham’s se­nior night.

Up­per More­land will look to bounce back from a tough loss on Fri­day, Oc­to­ber 5 when it trav­els to Wis­sahickon High School. Kick­off is sched­uled for 7 p.m.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.