First Bap­tist Church Started From A Tent Re­vival

Washington County Enterprise-Leader - - FRONT PAGE - By Lynn Kut­ter

Farmington First Bap­tist Church was or­ga­nized Oct. 3, 1948, fol­low­ing a tent re­vival on the lot be­tween Phillips’ Gro­cery and the Church of Christ on Main Street, ac­cord­ing to a church his­tory pro­vided by Janie Steele of Farmington. Steele, who re­cently passed away at the age of 78, was a char­ter mem­ber of the church.

The church his­tory says the church was or­ga­nized be­cause a group of “lov­ing Chris­tian peo­ple” saw the need for a South­ern Bap­tist church in Farmington. Brother A.L. Leake with Wash­ing­ton-Madi­son Bap­tist As­so­ci­a­tion preached a two-week re­vival and at the end of the re­vival, 58 peo­ple were ready to for­mal­ize a new church called First Bap­tist Church.

Jesse Cole­man was or­dained as the first pas­tor and the church’s first an­nual bud­get was $1,800. Nan Shreve gave land for a new church build­ing at the corner of Main and Church streets. Farmington’s pop­u­la­tion at the time was 100.

Church mem­bers met in the old Chris­tian Church while their new build­ing was un­der con­struc­tion.

They moved into their new fa­cil­ity on Main Street in Jan­uary 1951.

The church grew sig­nif­i­cantly over the years, espe­cially dur­ing the 1980s. So much, that it had three wor­ship ser­vices on Sun­days and two Sun­day School ses­sions to ac­com­mo­date the number of peo­ple at­tend­ing.

In 1989, a build­ing and re­lo­ca­tion com­mit­tee be­gan meet­ing to work on land and fi­nances for a new fa­cil­ity. The church pur­chased land on Rheas Mill Road and held a ground-break­ing cer­e­mony for the fa­cil­ity on April, 7, 1991. The church re­lo­cated to its new build­ing about 25 years ago, in May 1993, ac­cord­ing to the church his­tory.

After the move, some church mem­bers de­cided they wanted to stay in the old build­ing and have a more tra­di­tional type ser­vice. They bought the for­mer church from First Bap­tist and named it Farmington Bap­tist. To­day, the church is called Main Street Bap­tist.

Since Farmington First moved to its build­ing on Rheas Mill Road, it has ex­panded by con­struct­ing a new chil­dren’s fa­cil­ity and a new youth build­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.