Bull­dogs stung by Hor­nets, 40-0, in con­fer­ence con­test

Westside Eagle-Observer - - SPORTS - By Mike Eck­els meck­els@nwadg.com

HACK­ETT — It be­came ap­par­ent from the open­ing kick­off that the De­catur Bull­dogs had their hands full when they trav­eled to Hack­ett on Oct. 6 to take on the Hor­nets at Mills Field there.

On the open­ing kick­off, the Hor­nets took the ball all the way into the end zone for the first touch­down of the game. A two-point con­ver­sion made it 8-0 with only 25 sec­onds elapsed from the clock in the first quar­ter. Hack­ett would go on to score four more touch­downs be­fore the quar­ter ended. De­catur man­aged to block an ex­tra point, mak­ing it 24-0 Hack­ett.

As in the first quar­ter, the Hor­nets ran back the open­ing kick­off for a touch­down just 15 sec­onds into the sec­ond quar­ter. A two-point con­ver­sion made it a 32-0 Hack­ett ball­game. A sec­ond touch­down-con­ver­sion com­bi­na­tion gave Hack­ett a 40-0 game at the half­time break.

Early in the third quar­ter, the Bull­dogs in­ter­cepted a pass at the Hack­ett 45 yard line and ran it into the end zone for a De­catur touch­down. A penalty af­ter the in­ter­cep­tion nul­li­fied the touch­down. De­catur re­tained the ball. The Bull­dogs were un­able to take ad­van­tage of the Hor­net mis­take. A few min­utes later, the De­catur de­fense forced a fum­ble on the Hack­ett 35 yard line which was re­cov­ered by De­catur’s Austin Hamil­ton. The Hor­nets held the Bull­dogs in three plays.

The game re­mained score­less for the rest of the half, giv­ing the Hack­ett Hor­nets the vic­tory, 40-0, and the con­fer­ence win.

In the ju­nior high con­test played ear­lier, the Hor­nets jumped out to a 35-0 lead with less than two min­utes left in the first quar­ter. De­catur gained pos­ses­sion of the ball with 90 sec­onds left. Roger Her­nan­dez took a hand-off from quar­ter­back Bryson Funk and ran for a 30-yard touch­down. A con­ver­sion at­tempt failed, end­ing the quar­ter, 35-6.

The Hor­nets scored another touch­down in the sec­ond quar­ter. A con­ver­sion at­tempt was stopped three yards from the goal line by the Bull­dog de­fense. With a lit­tle over a minute left in the half, Her­nan­dez found the end zone once again. De­catur’s con­ver­sion was suc­cess­ful, mak­ing it a 35-14 con­test at the break.

Two more touch­downs and a point af­ter by Hack­ett, and a touch­down and a touch­back by De­catur, made it a 48-22 Hack­ett con­test.

De­catur will be back in ac­tion Oct. 13 for a home­com­ing con­test against the JC West­side Rebels at Bull­dog Sta­dium in De­catur. The ju­nior-high game starts at 5 p.m. with the se­nior-high con­test sched­uled for 7 p.m. The home­com­ing king and queen will be crowned be­tween the two games.

Photo by Mike Eck­els

A Hack­ett run­ning back grabs the face mask of De­catur’s Joseph Arm­strong, re­sult­ing in a 15-yard penalty on the Hor­nets dur­ing the first quar­ter of the De­catur-Hack­ett con­fer­ence game at Mills Field in Hack­ett on Oct. 6.

Photo by Mike Eck­els

De­catur’s Alex Lee (5) moves in to re­ceive a hand­off from quar­ter­back Joseph Arm­strong (1) against Hack­ett on Oct. 6.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.