Sweet summer happiness- boosters!
FONDANT DECORATIONS 1 1/2 tsp. tylose powder, such as Wilton What’s the sweetest way to brighten any summer day? Adorable double-lemon cupcakes decorated with cheery flowers, ladybugs and honey bees!
1/3 cup each white, red and yellow fondant, such as Wilton Decorator Preferred Confectioners’ sugar CUPCAKES 1 pkg. (16 oz.) poundcake mix, such as Betty Crocker 2 eggs 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature 1 Tbs. grated lemon zest 1/2 tsp. lemon extract 1 jar (11.3 oz.) lemon curd FROSTING 1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature 4 cups confectioners’ sugar 1 Tbs. vanilla extract Leaf green and lemon yellow concentrated food colorings 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 2 Tbs. milk ASSEMBLY Black edible color food marker Yellow, brown and red mega M&M’S candies 1 tube (4.25 oz.) black decorating icing, fitted with small plain tip (such as Wilton #7) Small candy eyes, such as Wilton Yellow, red and orange regular M&M’S candies Sliced natural almonds
Brown M&M’S Minis candies
● Decorations: Knead 1/2 tsp. tylose into each color of fondant. Keep fondants (and scraps) wrapped when not in use.
● For bee wings, on surface lightly dusted with confectioners’ sugar, roll out white fondant to 1/16" thickness. Using 2" daisy cookie cutter, cut out 6 shapes. Transfer to baking sheet, cut each shape in half, as shown. Reserve scraps.
● For ladybug wings, on surface lightly dusted with confectioners’ sugar, roll out red fondant to 1/16" thickness. Using 2" daisy cookie cutter, cut out 6 shapes. Transfer to baking sheet, cut each shape in half, as shown. Reserve scraps.
● For flowers, separately roll out yellow fondant and reserved white and red scraps as directed for wings. Using 2" and 1 1/2" daisy cookie cutters, cut out shapes, as desired. To shape flowers, place in mini muffin cups. Let wings and flowers dry, uncovered, overnight.
● Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners. On low speed, beat cake mix, 2/3 cup water, eggs, cream cheese and butter until blended, 30 seconds; on medium, beat 2 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and extract. Divide among cupcake liners. Bake 18-21 minutes or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes. Transfer from pans to racks; cool completely.
● Cut out 1 1/4"x1" coneshaped piece of cake from center of each cupcake. Spoon lemon curd into centers, as shown. Trim cutout pieces to fit; replace over filling.
● Frosting: On medium, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy, 2 minutes. On low, gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, then vanilla. On medium-high beat until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Reserve 2 Tbs. frosting. Transfer 1 1/4 cups of remaining frosting to separate bowl; tint green with food coloring, then transfer to pastry bag fitted with large star tip (such as Wilton #1B). Tint 1/2 cup of remaining frosting yellow; transfer to pastry bags fitted with plain tip (such as Wilton #1A). Transfer 1/2 cup of remaining frosting to separate bowl; stir in cocoa and milk until smooth, then transfer to pastry bag fitted with plain tip (such as Wilton #1A). In batches if necessary, transfer remaining frosting (about 2 1/2 cups) to pastry bag fitted with large star tip (such as Wilton #1B).